Old shot gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by terminator, Dec 26, 2010.

1. terminator

terminator Member

I have a very old shot gun I got from my Grand Father. It says Long Tom on it. Any body have any info on this old gun?

Thanks!:cool:
  2. 22shot

22shot New Member

terminator

The only thing I know is that it's Granpas' old shotgun, and it has "Long Tom" written on it.

I'm aware of only one U.S. shotgun mfg. that would (could) call that model a "Long Tom"....

Let's see if other members can figure out what you have; based on your post!

Maybe they can "google" it?
  3. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

First of all, it's a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. If the name stamped on the gun is LONG TOM then it was made by either the Meridian Fire Arms Company of Meridian,CT or the Stevens Arms & Tool Company of Chicoppee Falls, MA. The guns were made for and sold by Sears Roebuck & Co of Chicago.IL. Now any long barrel shotgun, 32 inches or longer are commonly referred to a a Long Tom but that is not the correct name for them. If the gun was made by Meridian, it was made some time between 1905 and 1915. If it was made by Stevens it was made some time between 1915 and 1935. The guns were inexpensive when new and haven't increased in value much since then. They sell mostly between $50 and $75 depending on condition.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Why hello, Anchor Clanker. Long time no post, everyting OK at your end:)
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The name "Long Tom" for any long barrelled gun or cannon goes back centuries; the best known today is probably the 155mm gun used by the US in WWII, but the 280mm "Atomic Cannon" was also sometimes called the Long Tom.

So the makers or sellers of that shotgun didn't invent the name, they just used it. The shotguns given that name were utilitarian guns and are of only modest value today, usually around $100 if in good condtion, which few are. I strongly recommend against firing those old guns with modern ammunition, and some should not be fired with any ammunition, even black powder shells.

Jim
  6. terminator

terminator Member

Thanks men!!
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

From my experience - the term "LONG TOM" was applied to shotguns with barrels longer than 30". Usually in the 32" to 38" length.
    Did a little research - seems that these "named" shotguns were made by Batavia Arms, in NYS and sold with that stamp by both Sears and M. Wards from the late 1880's up to around 1930. Most had a 36" barrel.