old shotgun id

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cj7rubicon, Dec 10, 2009.

1. cj7rubicon

cj7rubicon New Member

This was handed down from my grandfather,but i dont know its history before that.The only numbers i can find on it read either 8963 or 3963 cant really make it out.No wood on it at all,lots of dustrust and some pitting.Most of the flat trigger springs are missing.Looks to be 12 gauge.

I have searched for pics that look similar to this but didnt come up with anything.Thanks for looking and helping a newbie.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Maybe a later model of this one, advertised in 1884 catalog of E. C. Meacham, St Louis. Not identical, as yours appears to have had a pistol grip stock. If so, probably an Iver Johnson.

Attached Files:

3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Suspicion confirmed, here's your "new model" in the 1890 J. P. Lovell catalog.

Attached Files:

4. cj7rubicon

cj7rubicon New Member

Wow,that looks alot like it.My dad remembers it hanging on a wall when he was a kid in the 50s.He said it could have been his grandpas.
  5. cj7rubicon

cj7rubicon New Member

Thanks alot for the info!
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Both Hopkins and Allen { which seems to be an infringement of Iver Johnsons Patent } and Iver Johnson made a side lever shotgun. Since Champion was a Iver Johnson Model name and J.P. Lovell had the rights to sell Iver Johnson firearms and by 1900 was owned by Iver Johnsons, well you take it from there. Myself, I would say that you have a side snap Iver Johnson. At least what is left of one, a relic, really of a firearm Made around 1900, because Iver Johnson changed the name of Lovell's to Iver Johnson Sporting Goods. Most of this information was lifted from Mr. B.Goforth research.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  7. cj7rubicon

cj7rubicon New Member

Are any parts available?Id like to make it a shooter to keep.I know I would probably need special ammo according to info Ive found on here.
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Ammo would the the least of your problems. You would have to have a forearm made and the metal attachment parts would have to be hand made. A stock can be custom made and so can the missing parts, that is, can be made by gunsmith who is willing to take on such a project. I understand your desire to restore this old shotgun, but here is the reality. It would cost at least 10 times what the fire arm is valued at. from the looks of what you have, I don't believe it is a good candidate to restore. If you have your heart set on this, the cheapest route would to by a like item in working condition and swap parts. That would be about 2000 dollars cheaper. Now that is just MO, and as you know, like belly buttons evry one has different opinions. which ever way you go, the best of luck on it.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  9. cj7rubicon

cj7rubicon New Member

Ok,thanks for all the info.I was hoping someone made parts for it,but if they dont Ill just keep as is.Thanks again.