old shotgun

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by merc, Aug 14, 2003.

1. merc

merc New Member

Hi guys
    my buddy just gave me a wicked old looking shot gun.
    It looks to be a 12 gauge and is single shot.
    It is pretty rusty and the wood is cracked and missing pieces etc.
    Probably should be thrown away but I love messin' with these old toys and trying to make them look like they used to.
    It is markedG lenwood on the top of the receiver
    On the left side of receiver:
    MFR’D BY ANDREW FYRBURG & CO
    WORCESTER, MASS PAT. MAY 2 1899
    And it has the number 414 on the tang under the barrel and on the face of lower receiver.
    Any comments??????????
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Merc.....this is from the 2003 Standard Catalog of Firearms:

"FYRBERG, ANDREW Worcester and Hopkinton, Mass.

Double-Barrel Shotguns

Fyrberg did work for Iver Johnson and C.S. Shattuck Co. of Hatfield, Mass. He began producing a hammerless double about 1902, a well designed boxlock with coil mainsprings. An estimated 2,000 were produced and Hopkinton and Worcester, Mass. Some have been made at Meriden, Conn. Sears cataloged the Fyrberg guns in 1902 to about 1908."

Apparently the doubles were pretty good guns because in decent condition they have a little value.

Exc. - $500
    V.G. - $400
    Good - $300
    Fair - $200
    Poor - $150

No mention of the single-barrel shotguns though.

Since this is not a really high-value gun, sounds like a great "restoration" project for you.....all the more so, since the maker was "just down the road apiece" from you in NH.

Have Fun!

P.S. I have a 1902 Sears Catalog and American-made single-shot shotguns typically sold in the $4 to $5 range. They all had Sears tradenames though, so I don't know if any of them were made by Fyrberg.
  3. merc

merc New Member

X
    Thanks for the info
    I find it fasinating that these old guns sold for 4 and 5 bucks at the time they were new.
    Kind of cool when you think about it.
    That was probably the buyer's monthly income just to get one to shoot birds to feed his family.

I should have taken some before pictures.
    Before and afters would have been nice bbut I already brushed off the rust from the outside of the barrel and reblued it.
    I'll take some anyway and post 'em when done.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Yeah.....it would've been nice to see the "before" and "after" of the shotgun.....maybe you can do that with the Remington-Lee.

Here's a hint on how to get nicely exposed and detailed photos of your guns:

Get a plain, light colored blanket, place it in open shade outdoors (such as a patio or deck with no roof), put your gun on it, and bracket your exposures. Shoot full-length right and left profiles, closeups of any markings, closeups of the action (open and closed), and any other interesting features.

I look forward to seeing your pix here.
  5. svnsoem

svnsoem New Member

It was good to see that there are other old Fyrberg guns around. I've got an old 16 gauge single shot. It says patent applied for and Drew Fyrberg and sons on it, and has a S/N of 1438 stamped on it in a couple places, although in one spot it looks more like 1458.

I think this was my grandfather's gun and I started using a little in about 1951 or so. I haven't fired it now for quite a few years.