1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Old Speer Bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DixieLandMan, Oct 18, 2011.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I have a box of old Speer bullets that I need reloading data on. The guy at Speer told me they quit making them when Moby Dick was a minnow. They are .30 caliber (.308) 165 grain round soft point. They are going into a Remington .30-06. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

There is no way anyone with a load book could tell you what powder speer used or at what weight. I can give you some load data and I have the old speer load data book but it wont tell me what they used.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I will check the data from my older Speer books, then cross that bullet to some modern manuals. Should be able to determine a safe powder and starting load with some careful research. Do you have the Speer number ?

Welcome to TFF DLM !
  4. langenc

langenc Member

Reloadersnest.com will have loads for a 165 gr. Just start 5% or so below and work up.

Check on what powder yopu have and go to the makes site and heck on what amt of that powder they recommend for a 165 in that caliber.

Call Sierra Bulletsmiths and ask. They will give data for any bullet.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

6. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Wollyworm the Speer number is 2029. I have several numbers for powder so that should not be a problem at all. They remind me of the older looking Core-Lokt bullets from Remington.