The Firearms Forum banner

Old Speer Bullets

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DixieLandMan 
#1 ·
I have a box of old Speer bullets that I need reloading data on. The guy at Speer told me they quit making them when Moby Dick was a minnow. They are .30 caliber (.308) 165 grain round soft point. They are going into a Remington .30-06. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

#2 ·
There is no way anyone with a load book could tell you what powder speer used or at what weight. I can give you some load data and I have the old speer load data book but it wont tell me what they used.

#3 ·
I will check the data from my older Speer books, then cross that bullet to some modern manuals. Should be able to determine a safe powder and starting load with some careful research. Do you have the Speer number ?

Welcome to TFF DLM !

#4 ·
Reloadersnest.com will have loads for a 165 gr. Just start 5% or so below and work up.

Check on what powder yopu have and go to the makes site and heck on what amt of that powder they recommend for a 165 in that caliber.

Call Sierra Bulletsmiths and ask. They will give data for any bullet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.