Old Speer Bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DixieLandMan, Oct 18, 2011.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I have a box of old Speer bullets that I need reloading data on. The guy at Speer told me they quit making them when Moby Dick was a minnow. They are .30 caliber (.308) 165 grain round soft point. They are going into a Remington .30-06. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

There is no way anyone with a load book could tell you what powder speer used or at what weight. I can give you some load data and I have the old speer load data book but it wont tell me what they used.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I will check the data from my older Speer books, then cross that bullet to some modern manuals. Should be able to determine a safe powder and starting load with some careful research. Do you have the Speer number ?

Welcome to TFF DLM !
  4. langenc

langenc Member

Reloadersnest.com will have loads for a 165 gr. Just start 5% or so below and work up.

Check on what powder yopu have and go to the makes site and heck on what amt of that powder they recommend for a 165 in that caliber.

Call Sierra Bulletsmiths and ask. They will give data for any bullet.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

6. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Wollyworm the Speer number is 2029. I have several numbers for powder so that should not be a problem at all. They remind me of the older looking Core-Lokt bullets from Remington.