Old Stevens 22 bolt removal

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by komputatek, Oct 2, 2010.

1. komputatek

komputatek New Member

I have an old J. Stevens 22 Cal rifle that I bought 35 years ago (it was old then too). It is a bolt action tube feed. It was plumb brown in color and has fixed sights. There is no model or serial number. It only says J. Stevens, etc. 22 short Long Long rifle. there is the number 20 in a circle at the receiver end of the barrel and another identical one on the receiver near the barrel. both are on the left side.

This was my first rifle & I'm trying to do a complete restoration on it as it was put in storage and is now very rusty. I have it mostly broken down, but can't get the bolt out.

Some have suggested that I hold the trigger and it will come out. Not this model!

The front of the bolt is connected to a half inch square block underneath the receiver that is holding the feeder tube. There is also a flat "L" shaped lever that acts as the ejector in the middle of this block. When the bolt is pulled back this lever ejects the spent cartridge. I've removed this lever hoping it would help remove the bolt - no joy. There is also a 1/4" vertical block welded to the receiver underneath the back of the bolt area. This acts as a stop for the feeder tube block. When the bolt is pulled back the feeder tube block and the ejector hit his vertical block.

The bolt handle appears to free floating in the middle of the bolt and seems to only lock itself in place in the receiver notch.

The firing pin mechanism has a 'dime" sized button on the back of the bolt to allow manual cocking of the firing pin beside cycling the bolt. There is a semi-circular safety directly underneath this. The safety is rocked up/down for operation. I've removed all these parts easily.

The feeder tube is held in place by 2 small square blocks under the barrel that come out sideways. I can't remove them because all this is held together (receiver, bolt, feeding tube) like a difficult puzzle.

After careful study It appears that the bolt either is threaded together or is pressed together as I can find no screws, pins, etc. holding it in.

It looks very similar to the model 66 series, but I've seen pictures of these and mine is different.

Anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

try pulling the trigger while the bolt is in the rear position and walking the bolt backward toward the rear while depressing the trigger

cheers and good luck eh
  3. azstubie

azstubie New Member

the barrel should be pinned to the receiver. It is necessary to remove the barrel and then the bolt with the magazine can be removed. As I recall you might have to take the rear half of the bolt apart by removing a large lateral pin that holds the firing pin main spring in the bolt. It's kind of tricky and needs to be fiddle with but the secret is to remove the barrel. Hope this helps. I have one, a Stevens 66 with the sliding magazine tube that goes into the block attached to the bottom of the front of the bolt.
  4. azstubie

azstubie New Member

Pix

Attached Files:

5. azstubie

azstubie New Member

If this is it, let me know and I'll give you some more info on taking it apart. good luck
  6. komputatek

komputatek New Member

The pictures posted are nearly identical. The only obvious difference is that my ejector arm is much wider and mine "bumps" against that rear vertical block. The one in the picture seems to pass through the vertical block.

The rest looks good. Mine has a fixed rear sight.

Mine does have a pin through the barrel were it joins the receiver. I'll try to get it out, but so far its been very tight. I broke a punch trying. It's a solid steel pin.
  7. azstubie

azstubie New Member

when you pull the barrel off, take the inner mag tube out and let the barrel slide off the outer mag tube. When you get the bolt disassembled the front portion of the bolt can be lifted out of the receiver with the lower block and mag tube in one piece. Getting the cocking piece removed from the rear of the bolt requires puhching out the small pin, also the spring in the safety is strong and is a pain in replace. Good luck, as I recall you have to also remove the ejector from the block beneath the bolt.
  8. komputatek

komputatek New Member

Thanks for all the help. What you have told me so far seems right. I've been under the weather since my last post and hopefully can get back at this project.
  9. komputatek

komputatek New Member

Ok. I'm really perplexed. Now bare in mind that I've done mechanical work all my life and I'm nearly 50! I've taken every screw, pin, you name it out, but the bolt is still in there. At this point I'm thinking it's pressed together(?) I can't find any way for it to separate. I gently pried, soaked it with PB Baster, tapped it (gently) with a drift punch. BTW. I've gotten the barrel out.

I've attached some pictures to help you with my dilemma. Pic. 1 - Stevens a right side view has labels: A- rear of bolt for holding firing mechanism. B- Receiver. C- Bolt handle. D- Bolt head/face area. E- Feeding tube base. F- Feeding tube stop.

Right now the bolt (part C) is free swinging. It acts as if it's not attached to anything except that it's trapped between parts A & D. When I look down inside were the bolt handle rides it looks like the bolt passes through it as one piece.
    The Feeder tube block (part E) appears to be machined as part of the bolt face (part D). I did try to pry gently between this block and the receiver. FYI the pin is definitely out of the feeder tube stop (part E)

Part F, the feeder stop, is welded in place.

The other pictures are just different views / angles.

Please study this and hopefully an answer can be found. I never could have imagined this could get so complicated.

Attached Files:

10. azstubie

azstubie New Member

A and C need to come out the rear of the receiver and then D with E will lift out the top of the receiver when slid toward the breech. Good luck. Let me know how it goes. If I have to get mine out and pull it apart I will just in case I forgot something
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  11. komputatek

komputatek New Member

I agree that Parts A & C should come out the back, but what I don't understand is how. I have tried moderate tapping on the side of the bolt handle hoping to see some separation from part D, but NOTHING! I don't want to mar up anything. I still feel this is pressed together, but could it be seized from old age? I hesitant to use heat unless I possibly use low heat like a propane torch or the "high powered" hair dryer types.
  12. azstubie

azstubie New Member

I think it unscrews, try a punch in the back hole, right hand threads, if that's it ok, if not let me know and I'll tear mine down
  13. komputatek

komputatek New Member

I would first like to thank Mr. Stevens for making such a fine quality piece of machinery. I would secondly like to thank azstubie for the fine coaching on this project.

It was screwed together! I soaked it with PB Blaster and let it set for 10 minutes. I turned down a 2 inch nail to fit the pin hole and used "Channel Lock" pump pliers on the nail so as not to mar the bolt. With a mild grunt it began to unscrew and then came apart just as you said. I've already began the task of getting it cleaned and hopefully this weekend can complete that stage.

Just another question: I know that this was originally plum brown, but do you know if the bolt was brown or polished steel? I'm considering making it polished steel, but I prefer originality.

Thanks again!!!!!
  14. azstubie

azstubie New Member

my is chrome plate. I'm glad it came out ok, good luck with your project and make sure you post a picture of the finished rifle.
  15. komputatek

komputatek New Member

I will be sure and get pics up once it's finished, but please be patient. This is a 'quiet" project. I work on it in small half hour to hour blocks. It might be Christmas before it's completed.

Thanks again for your help!:):):):)
  16. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

All in good time...I done an old rifle like that several years ago and after all the time and good work, it was a good felling of thinking, Job Well Done.:)
  17. azstubie

azstubie New Member

:D My pleaure, I been a member of numerous forums for years and this is the first time I could help someone. I'm retired LE, with a small gunsmith shop to keep busy now. Again good luck and will wait for the pix.
  18. pooch602000

pooch602000 New Member

Very good instructions. I have a Stevens that is like both of yours. If I ever decide to completely disassemble it I won't forget this info. Thanks, you have helped someone else.:)
  19. azstubie

azstubie New Member

20. gstrutz

gstrutz New Member

I am very happy that I ran across this forum. I've been trying for many years to remove the bolt off of the Stevens .22 rifle my father gave me. I've done my best cleaning it after firing it but have never been able to fully clean it properly.

Thanks again.

George