Old Stevens 22 bolt removal

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by komputatek, Oct 2, 2010.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

On this forum anything is possible
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

indeed. great job guys!
  3. mrbirmi

mrbirmi New Member

Hi,

I'm new here, and working on a Stevens model 66. I was able to get the bolt out using the advice above, but I'm now wondering how to remove the outer magazine tube from the solid block, labeled "e" in the photo above. I can get it to rotate inside of the block about a quarter turn, but thats it. In not really sure how to move forward. Thanks in advance for any help given!

Matt
  4. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

azstubie- Could you please contact me regarding the stevens rifle you have posted. My friend has one. Would like to know model and age plus I have some other questions mr.t7024@yahoo.com or 978-424-7024 would appreciate this very much. :) Cliff
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

nice job guys
  6. TRAPMAN481

TRAPMAN481 New Member

I do some gunsmithing: You probably have a Model 066 or 66. No Model markings on gun. -Drive pins out left to right-
    1. Make sure gun unloaded (elementary)
    2. Remove pin holding trigger mech. The trigger keeps bolt from screwing out.
    3. Drive pin out of kurled cocking piece(You can remove bolt without removing this pin but will need to be removed to reassemble firing pin spring assem. with out damaging)
    4. Remove the pin that goes thru bolt holding firing pin spring assembly in. Firing pin and spring will come out.
    5. Insert pin or drift thu the bolt and turn counterclockwise and screw bolt
    out of magazine carrier.

I hope this helps
  7. Gierhedd75

Gierhedd75 New Member

Hi everyone. I know this is WAY old, but the answer to the bolt removal dilemma is very simple:
    The magazine tube threads out of the aluminum block.
    No. It is not easy to turn. Solution: heat up the block about a third of the way back on the bottom and sides. Continue to hold a decent flame on it, taking care not to torch the receiver, barrel, and peripheral parts, as you slowly unscrew the tube. You may have to wiggle it clockwise and counter clockwise a bit, but it WILL eventually spin out. You may have to carefully grip the tube with pliers or something, taking care not to mar or squash the tube as you turn it out. It will come out after fully unscrewing it. It's about a half an inch of threads.
    The threads are super fine and I guess, trap a bit of crud from sitting for decades.
    The rest of the bolt disassembly is as described in previous posts.
    The bolt is two pieces and will come out by unscrewing the rear once the firing pin and trigger assembly come out. You only need to remove a total of 2 pins for all of this.
    If the rear of the bolt will not easily unscrew, find a bolt roughly the same diameter as the inside of the bolt half. Drill a hole through the screw (I.e. a hex head bolt) to match the holes on the bolt where the roll pin goes. Now insert the screw and secure both with a roll pin, and turn out with a wrench.
    After that, it'll come right out. The bolt handle can be tapped off of the rear of the bolt with a rubber mallet or piece of wood.
    Clean all parts good and coat all threaded parts with anti-seize/choke tube lube when reassembling to make future break down easier.