Old SxS Double Experts

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by griz, Jun 26, 2003.

1. griz

griz New Member

For some time, now, I've wanted to own an older model side by side double shotgun, for no particular reason, kinda like Forrest Gump.

I have a line on an Ithaca 12 Ga hammerless double barrel with 30 inch barrels choked improved cylinder and full. Barrel blue is about 90%. Bore looks excellent. Has original stock finish and original Ithaca butt plate. Butt has light crack with old repair. Gun mfg. in 1921 and has steel barrels marked "smokeless steel".

Do any of you folks, who know a lot more about these than I do, think something like this would be a useable shotgun and worth three and a quarter?
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Is it worth $325.......you bet it is! Even the cheapest Field Grade Ithaca Hammerless Double in 90% condition Bluebooks at $550. The crack in the buttstock might bring the value down a little, but it's still a bargain at the $325 price.

As to whether it'll make a nice shooter......it should be OK with modern (non-magnum) standard loads, but it's an old gun and should be taken to a gunsmith to be checked out before shooting.
  3. warpig

warpig Guest

I have had my eye out for a good deal on a Ithaca SxS for a couple years. Congratulations.

Heck the plain old Savage 311s are selling for that much.