old time survival skills

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by jack404, May 13, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I've uploaded the first 5 of the fox fire series

this is based on real life skills of folks who lived in the upper Appalachian Mountains in the early part of the century

everything from making butter churns to making butter sewing crops and using nature to assist you

http://jack404.minus.com/mbrIkcMiII/1g
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

interesting Jack! Wife was born and raised in W VA and we live there for 10 yrs..deep in the heart of Appalacha. many of the practices in that series are still used there. there are still familys that you almost never see in or around a town. not many but still a few.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Its part of the US i like and try to get too,

folks talk of SHTF and such and what to do

you need to know stuff like this from folks who some would call "backwards " or "hill billies" but who had little but faith and ingenuity and did a lot

folks like that tamed the land and made wilderness farmland and raised their families while doing so , and while they where cash poor they where knowledge rich

and its a knowledge anyone who contemplates SHTF or similar, should obtain
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I had some of those old foxfire books before moving to Alaska and we've been here 20 years. I came from rural Pennsylvania and learned how to find ginseng & goldenseal from a few old timers. They were too old to drive but did they ever like to walk in the woods with me, for miles too; up the sides of small mnts. One guy was an old farmer, everybody in his family was too busy with the farm to spend time with their dad & grandfather; so I got the pleasure. I remember we looked several times about a mile back in the woods for this old homestead. Two old bachelors had lived there before WWI and they grew ginseng. They died, homestead fell down and woods took over. Old Irwin and me never found that overgrown place, but he was sure it was still there somewheres and he was sure we'd find all kinds of old ginseng if we did find it. Two years later, I found it on my own, just old foundation stones & well and all the ginseng that had went wild. I went and got Irwin and he said he couldn't walk well enough until I told him that I found the homestead, ha ha. He jumped right up, ha ha. We spent a day in there digging roots, found roots that had 50 year old neck rings, and we made tea all winter with them. Those oldtimers really do have stories to tell if we'd only pay attention.

Here in Alaska, traditional knowledge is how most people survive. It is a valued part of the lifestyle out here in the rural parts. Sure is nice to be able to live off the land to some extent. I put a fish net in for salmon, but have ate so much salmon, I've lost the taste for the stuff, kinda like eating too much brocculli. Last fall, our family got 3 moose and a bunch of caribou which provided most of our meat. Trouble is now I like chicken & shrimp more than anything. Too expense to transport scratch & wife doesn't want to move down along the coast. I was once offered a teaching job at Yakutat and wife said no way. You wouldn't believe the seafood free for the taking there. Then I'd probably lose my taste for shrimp too, ha ha.
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Thanks for access to the downloads Jack. Interesting reading and alot of good knowledge
    that for the most part, only a few still practice or even know about.
    Other than those from the Appalacha region.
    I'm pretty well surround by it, as alot of people (lol) consider me to be a "hillbilly"!
    Been called alot worse,(lol) but when times do get tough(er) or SHTF we'll see who laughi'n
    last!
    My Grandparents were 'old timers' and didnt much like the "modern ways" even when I was
    a kid as they were raised in hard times and had to make due with what they had.
    I spent a many of summers at their place growing up and they taugh me alot on how to make due and be happy with what you have. Heck, I still think that in the early '80's they
    wernt all to keen with the with the idea of elcetricity.There was always a lamp buring at night mowi'n sigh (spelling) always got used or a hand sickle for trimming.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

well i'm off for a week in september to with some friends , give myself a work out , i'll take a knife my machette and a rifle and tinder box and bed roll tea and a billy and a water bag , we'll walk in from the set off point and walk 2-3 days , camp for a day or two and head on back , not real hard to survive where we are heading , lotsa tucker ;) and having tools and being with two koori gents , i think we'll be living well , and coming back with way more than we go in with , but not everyones up for that heck , i'm finding out if i'm still up for that to be honest.. but i hope the info helps , i've seen city kids pass carter courses and advanced survival courses based on book info

i'm thinking about taking some coffee this time though , tea is ok ..
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  8. Shoobee

Shoobee Former Guest

That sounds like a great upcoming trip.

SHTF is a popular topic among the gun owning public here in the USA. There is even a tv show on the cable networks about Doomsday Preppers. And slightly less radical than they is everyone else, who feels the need to have a kit, make a plan, stay informed.

The USA with its precarious financial deficits seems poised to collapse anytime, and this would be a blow to the security of the rest of the English speaking world (UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, etc.)

I like to practice my SHTF procedures in the woodlands of the California Sierra Nevada. I have 3 backpack trips planned for the coming year, as well as at least two pre-hunting season recon hikes as well.

I am sure your pack trip will be idyllic. Bring a digital camera so we can all compare notes. Here are a few photos of my neck of the woods.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

my pack trip is a bit closer to home ,i'm in Australia so heading a bit north to the black stone mountains area ..
  10. Shoobee

Shoobee Former Guest

Ah, I see. I misread. Edited my post.

Still dying to see photos from your upcoming trip as well.

Every year, I go to the same place here.

It's a place I discovered on my own where there are many buck deer.

It is a full day's backpack trip to get up there.

Nobody bothers me there.

Not even Thulsa Doom (as Subotai would say, in Conan The Barbarian).
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
  11. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I did a fly in about 15 years back and it rained for 2 weeks. Weathered in, ran outta food; soaked to the bone, couldn't get anything to dry out, and bears kept breakin into what food we still had and chewed holes through the plastic emergency canoe; pretty miserable 10 day hunt. We ate a few rabbits and finally the rain stopped, the moose came out, and I called a couple bulls in. That was the best moose meat I ever ate I do believe, was so hungry. I never forget to take some snares as I can always get a few rabbits whenever I go camping.

The Indians around here eat things I'd never want to and they really consider it good too. They really like them porkys. Gut one sometime, then barbecue over a big fire, the quills all burn off. Porcupines are easy to run down and a man can survive for a while on them if need be.

I have a few places downriver then back in a few miles, nobody around for miles and miles. My favorite places are up on the summits, glassing, and waiting with the 30-378.
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Awesome reading Jack,
    Appreciate it!
  13. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

The only thing I miss from Califorina is the Mt's
  14. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 New Member

I'm a redneck hillbilly type from KS and I won't go into what all I've eaten on here, 'less asked. My wife bless her heart (from KC) has tried almost everythin I've et. My thinkin is that BEFORE I need to eat it to survive that I'd best know IF its edible and how to best cook it. Found I like some of it and will eat it if I've got it.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

No worries Zane , theres another 7 books in the series

between that and a old farmers almanac, should be most of what folks need to know to scrape through if they put in the effort and have a bit of luck
  16. Shoobee

Shoobee Former Guest

Well a pretty Chinese girl I used to date said rat meat tastes pretty good and that Americans are just too finicky eaters!

I have had squirrel, which is a tree rat, and that tastes pretty good.

A nice fat tree squirrel was on my balcony snooping around the other day, and I was tempted to string my bow and skewer it. I just did not want to risk the neighbors. In Calif archery is treated the same way as firearms, and you may not shoot archery within the city limits.

But otherwise my state hunting license is good.
  17. Shoobee

Shoobee Former Guest

The only thing I miss from Florida is the warm ocean waters.
  18. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

rats ok , nothing to rave about , cat too , its how they cook it

toss in some prime pork or lamb and its great

but roo is real nice , blessed that way with em
  19. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I bought three of them in the seventies when the last end of the world came. I bought the one on how to set up a still first! Priorities, you know! Now I can finish my collection. Thanks, Jack.:D
  20. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

well if it do go bad alcohol will be needed for lotsa stuff

preserving , fuel , trade ,

what would a bottle of scotch be worth in apocalyptic type future .. ?

if like the rationing of ww2 a bottle of scotch was a sheep , butchered and dressed ..

or 10 pound a bottle after the yanks came to town and raised the price from 6 quid ;)

a weeks labourers wages was 5 pound
    Last edited: May 16, 2012