old time survival skills

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by jack404, May 13, 2012.

1. Shoobee

Shoobee Former Guest

Well a pretty Chinese girl I used to date said rat meat tastes pretty good and that Americans are just too finicky eaters!

I have had squirrel, which is a tree rat, and that tastes pretty good.

A nice fat tree squirrel was on my balcony snooping around the other day, and I was tempted to string my bow and skewer it. I just did not want to risk the neighbors. In Calif archery is treated the same way as firearms, and you may not shoot archery within the city limits.

But otherwise my state hunting license is good.
  2. Shoobee

Shoobee Former Guest

The only thing I miss from Florida is the warm ocean waters.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

rats ok , nothing to rave about , cat too , its how they cook it

toss in some prime pork or lamb and its great

but roo is real nice , blessed that way with em
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I bought three of them in the seventies when the last end of the world came. I bought the one on how to set up a still first! Priorities, you know! Now I can finish my collection. Thanks, Jack.:D
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

well if it do go bad alcohol will be needed for lotsa stuff

preserving , fuel , trade ,

what would a bottle of scotch be worth in apocalyptic type future .. ?

if like the rationing of ww2 a bottle of scotch was a sheep , butchered and dressed ..

or 10 pound a bottle after the yanks came to town and raised the price from 6 quid ;)

a weeks labourers wages was 5 pound
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  6. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

7. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Great books. My mother used to read them and try different things. Made soap, cooked different critters. Old ground hog was the worst, think we left some glands in it or something. Dad was mad for a week. I raised my sons to survive in the wild. Taught them how to hunt and fish, make a fire in the rain, and a shelter in the snow. It paid off as all three are hard working young men who love the outdoors. Raised them on a cross between the Foxfire books, the boy scout books, and pat mcmanus's stories. Worked for me.
    thanks jack.
  8. H-D

H-D Active Member

Thanks for the link Jack!
  9. W4YAH

W4YAH New Member

Great books. I have two in the series gifted from my grandma.
  10. Shoobee

Shoobee Former Guest

If you always have a knife, then with that and a bootlace you can always make a fire-bow.

I carry extra boot laces with me as part of my survival gear.

And I always always have a knife with me. That is the first thing my father taught me.

Magnesium fires starters are good to have along too.

As well as a couple of butane lighters. They are more reliable than matches.

Warmth being our second most important need, next to only the air that we breathe, being able to start a fire in any conditions is a critical survival factor in any game plan.
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  11. Shoobee

Shoobee Former Guest

If we all got hungry enough, we would eat anything that walks, crawls, swims, or flies as well as anything that grows.

With plants, generally, by boiling them you cook-off any toxins.

With meats, if you make a soup out of it, and let it boil for about an hour, that will tenderize anything no matter where it came from. The soup broth will have most of the vitamins in it also.

Of course, on any fresh kill, you can eat that raw, because bacteria has not yet had a chance to contaminate it, and so cooking is not really necessary. Cooking a fresh kill just softens the meat, making it easier to chew.
  12. Shoobee

Shoobee Former Guest

It takes about 6 months at least to produce hard liquor from a mash of any kind.

The easiest thing to make is vodka, using potato peelings.

After it sets for several months, you still need to ferment the mash to get the alcohol out of it.

The effort required is about the same as breeding a lamb to term, and giving it a few weeks to feed on fresh grass. In that case you are turning field grass, together with ram and ewe DNA, into a fresh lamb carcass.

It all depends on how much the sheep rancher wants the liquor, I guess.
  13. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was in a camp in Colorado years ago in which we learned survival skills. We practiced with snares, but built our own slingshots and got squirrels with them; one time we got a porcupine, again with the slingshots. We ate everything we caught. Also learned to eat grasshoppers, red ants (not fire ants), make tea from the fresh shoots of spruce trees, guddle for trout, some edible plants like clover runners and thistle stems among other things. We were going to try rattlesnake once but the boy watching it decided he didn't want any so he let the whole thing fall into the fire.

We made lean-tos from large sheets of plastic.

I did a lot of growing up out there and learned a lot about myself and my capabilities.
  14. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I've been telling you folk about them D**** yankees, look at what they did to our economy in '65. 1865 that is. Actually Jack the Foxfire series was compiled in the southern Appalachians namely Rabun Gap, Georgia. It was started as a project to get the the kids at a boarding school interested in English composition. The teacher, can't remember his name, came up with the idea of getting the kids to go out and talk with the old folk about the "old way" and document what they said. This was done in the early '70"s if memory serves so all of those old folk are sadly gone. My favorites are rifle making including how to make a broach from wood using a piece of an old file for cutting tool for cutting the rifling, and , of course, making a proper still for converting all that useless corn (maise) into a very valuable commodity.
  15. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Folk around here can turn ground corn into distilled alcohol in a matter of days, week or so at most. If making rot gut and using sugar and malt yeast in warm weather a lot quicker. Having brewer's yeast or some of the beer from a previous run gets you started a lot quicker. Here is a link to a recipe and method for making moonshine: http://www.dcblues.org/sales/cookbook/shine.html