Old U.S. Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Brad, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Brad

Brad New Member

I am brand new to this site and forum. Hope I am in the right place. I have seen many postings regarding old U.S. Revolver handguns. Mine came from my dads grandfather and may be close to 100 years old. I have no idea how often my great grandfather or my grandfather fired this gun. My dad did not fire it very much. I can say it is in pretty good condition. Looks much better than the pictures I have seen on the web. The blueing is starting to come off, but there is no corrosion. All the parts move and work freely. I keep it oiled. I have never fired it. Because of this gun I learned there is a difference between .38 special and .38 S&W short rounds and that they do not mix. I did purchase a box of ammo for this. Not cheap. I am needing to know if I should not fire this weapon. I figured it could be a back up to my back up guns. I dont plan on carrying it. I might consider sale or trade as I really prefer to keep guns I intend to use. The bottom of the trigger guard has a number 11977 on it. I have no other SN or numbers for it. Its a 5 shot top break open. It is a double action. It has a device or some sort of safety incorporated at the back of the trigger guard. I do like the size and barrel length of this gun. It has a normal hammer, its not hammerless. Can someone please advise me as to how old this is and what it might be worth? I am trying to figure wheather to keep it or not.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

U.S. REVOLVER CO. AUTOMATIC HAMMER-----------------------1910-1935
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; This is a Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works to be sold through the wholesale trade. It was never listed in any Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works catalog, although it was listed in some European catalogs as original Iver Johnson products. Does not have Hammer the Hammer action and relies on a safety notch on the hammer. Hard rubber grip panels with U S at the top, large oversize two piece hard rubber grips were optional. Two frame sizes and three calibers were offered. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: large frame 38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity Weight: small frame .22 rimfire 12 ounces, small frame .32 centerfire 12 ½ ounces, large frame .38 centerfire 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inches 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$105

you have two options on the date of manufacture
    no letter code found on the left side of the grip frame serial mumber 11977=1910
    letter code found on left side of grip frame serial number C 11977= 1920

either date should be checked by a qualified person to determine if the revolver is safe to shoot.