The Firearms Forum banner

Older Revolvers

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Max Donovan 
#1 ·
I notice on the older H&R revolvers the cylinder has no lock up in the slots where the cylinder to stop turning. It just turns till the slot stops. What holds or locks the cylinder in place when the revolver is holstered?? I have collected a few were the cylinder has a definite lock slot but I'm afraid to collect the ones with no apparent positive lock. Does the shoe hold the cylinder firm enough and is the lock slot angled as where the shoe will hold it in place?? I'm sorry for the dumb questions but I'd like to learn more Before I purchase them. I find the history of the revolver designs very interesting from an engineering point of view as they changed as time went on. Is there a complete book that's all about the history of revolvers? I just purchased a book like this on the 22cal rifles.

Thanks, bigbill

#2 ·
I know not of this "shoe" you mention.

When you are shooting a revolver, as the hammer goes back, the hand goes up. The hand pushes on the pawl (which is at the breech end of the cylinder), causing the cylinder to revolve around the cylinder pin. As the hammer reaches its full backward movement, and the cylinder has a chamber lined up with the barrel, the bolt, under spring pressure, pops up out of the bottom of the frame into a notch in the cylinder, locking the cylinder in place. Then pulling the trigger causes the hammer to fall, firing the gun.

In most DECENT guns, the bolt stays up, until the hammer starts to move back again. Whether thumb cocked or trigger cocked does not matter. As soon as the hammer starts back, the bolt drops down, freeing the cylinder to revolve again, pushed by the hand on the pawl.

In some of the older, cheaply made guns, the bolt is only up as long as the hammer is back and/or the trigger is pulled. Once you release the trigger, after firing, the bolt drops down again. If you are going to shoot again,that does not matter, but if you were only shooting once, and now put the gun in your pocket, there is nothing to prevent the cylinder from free-spinning.

Realistically, the cylinder is not likely to move very far, even free-spinning, and when you pull it from your pocket again to shoot it, if the cylinder has moved forward some, it is not a problem. When the hammer starts back, nothing happens with the cylinder, until the hand comes up far enough to reach the lip on the pawl, and then it turns it the rest of the way, like normal.

I don't know why they were made like this, unless it was less complicated and therefore cheaper to make.

#3 ·
Sounds like you have a broken bolt spring. My Sportsman made in 36 releases the bolt as soon as the hammer starts coming back whether fired da or sa. As soon as the cylinder notch has cleared the bolt the bolt pops back up against the cylinder and stays there until the hammer starts its rearward travel on the next shot. Just before the trigger goes all the way forward after the shot is fired the bolt drops a smidge but doesn't come out of the notch. I hope I made sense.

#5 ·
I notice on the older H&R revolvers the cylinder has no lock up...
Which model? On some of the older ones, this is normal. The old break top Iver Johnson Owl's Heads are like this.

Is there a complete book that's all about the history of revolvers?
For H&R, Bill Goforth has a book you probably want. If it ever comes out. Bill Goforth passed away before finishing it:

http://www.gunshowbooks.com/cgi-bin/webc.exe/st_prod.html?p_prodid=HandRBook&sid=KQ4Bv8Xd

For general revolvers, try:

Grant Cunnigham - Gun Digest's Book of the Revolver
Patrick Sweeny - Gunsmithing Pistols and Revolvers

There are a tion more dedicated to specific models or manufacturers.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.