Older Savage 110

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by H-D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. H-D

H-D Active Member

Whats up with the Savage 110? are they good project guns? how is the stock (non accu) triggers? what is a pre- accu trigger 30-06 110 with synthetic stock worth? a shop here has one for $249.00 I may be able to talk him out of it for 200 or 225 ... looks like everyone this is a popular topic ...all of my bolt guns are either mausers or one lonely browning abolt-II should I just stick to what I know?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thas a decent price. the older 110s had wonderfully adjustable triggers and with a good bedding job and a barrel floating can be MOA or better even with a pencil barrel.
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

Cool I may go put it on lay-a-way when I get paid or trade him out of it I need another project like a hole in the head
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

IF you get it plan on bedding it. Just dont bed the rear tang. Bed it from the trigger to the barrel nut and float the rest. Itll shoot outstandingly for you.
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

Thanks for the advice JLA.. I really wanted a .308 but the -06 is hard to beat!
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Is it blue or stainless?
  7. H-D

H-D Active Member

8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have a brand new .308 #3 contour thatll screw right on. The .308 will run fine in a long action, and you'd have sort of a switch barrel. It just takes an action wrench, a barrel nut, and a headspace guage, and about 10 minutes in the floor to do it.
  9. H-D

H-D Active Member

Cool that's kind of what I had in mind something I could tinker with I get bored when there's nothing left to do to a gun I got a good deal on my Abolt 2 but the dan thing shoots cloverleafs that you can cover with a dime at 100 yds out of the box so I left it alone the guy who bought it new warned me that it didn't shoot very well and he midded 2 deer with it ... The shop he bought it from bore sighted it and told him he needed to zero it . His loss I am definatly going to put it on lay a way let me know what you want for the .308 barrel
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yours for 100 bucks. I got no use for it. It is a new savage takeoff. Has a smooth barrel nut but its marred from the pipe wrench i used to remove it. But the fluted nut on the savage your lookin at is better anyway. I just leave the smooth nut to protect the threads.

It been crowned 11* and cleaned and SBGO'd.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its a 22" incher
  12. H-D

H-D Active Member

Awesome let me get r paid off and I'll take it
  13. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

There is an old thread somewhere about a Savage 110 in .22-250 that I had built by Ace Systems. Heavy barrel gun and we added a Sharpshooter trigger ( the BEST trigger for a Savage), A Plaster sniper stock ( yeah I know they are ugly but cheaper that a McMillan and they work great), 11 deg barrel crown, cut a match chamber, etc. It was a one hole gun at 200 yds. Not a ragged hole. The rifle shoot so tight that you would think you had missed the other 4 shots on the target.
    Excellent platform for a target rifle.
  14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I have an older Savage 116, which is the stainless steel version of the Savage 110 like you mention. It's in 7mm Rem. Mag. and is the most accurate rifle I have. The $249 price is a pretty good price. I'd grab it if I was you!

Here's a picture of my Savage 116 wearing a $120 laminated wood thumbhole stock I got from Stocky's Stocks. It came with a black plastic stock on it too, but the wood stock was a huge improvement in looks. Well worth the money, it was a perfect drop-in fit. :cool:

[​IMG]
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The wood stocks take bedding better too. There are certain tricks to bedding a plaztik stock