Older Savage 110

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by H-D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. H-D

H-D Active Member

ok cool they have 2 of them now same price
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

What cal? I know the one youre lookin at is oughtsix, what about the other?? I now need a project for the wife.
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

same both identical 30-06's
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

damn. I was hoping one might be a .243 or a .223 Oh well.. guess i get to go rifle shoppin this weekend..:D
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

another shop here has a .270 for 279 w/ wood stock Walmart had a .243 w scope for 349 a while back but the girl wouldnt let me look at it and i went back and asked if i could work the bolt the guy looked at me like I was a nutter i asked if I could take the trigger lock out and he about jumped out of his skin
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah walmart isnt known for employing gunfolk.. My wife worked at wally world and I badly wanted her to transfer to sporting goods, but she said its a popular dept to transfer to because you aint gotta do nuttn. I said figures..
  7. H-D

H-D Active Member

Yeah they had a girl here for a while that new some I asked her if they had any 6.5 she asked 6.5 swedish? I said yep she said sold out should have some next tuesday well I aint seen her or that 6.5 since...Theres an old guy Art at the one across town but he's hard to get a hold to
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Did you bed it before you drop in the action? Nice looking laminate!
  9. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Savage has been making the old 110 set up for a LONG time. At one time, they were all long actions, actually EXTRA long actions if you compare them to a 70, or a 700 or a 98. In fact, once upon a time, if you didnt want to spend the extra money for off set rings, you had to actually be careful what scopes you tried to mount on 'em because the scope length of MANY scopes werent long enough to mound on a 110! I have owned quite a few over the years and even owned one, in the OLD VEEERY LONG 110, factory chambered in ............... 222 Remington!! The magazine was blocked for a full HALF of its length to hold the .222 shells! Ive also owned em in 270, and a BUNCH of em in '06. EVERY ONE shot exceptionally well, even one I bought that had been traded in after being used by an Amish man for deer hunting for MANY years - it was terribly dirty, and had been used VERY hard for VERY long. They arent necessarily GRACEFUL, and the "beech hardwood" stocks on most of the early ones were very clubby, kinda like holding onto a 2x4- the lines of the current stocks, and especially the plastic stocks are MUCH better, and are a very comfortable replacement to put on those fat, older ones. Enjoy it when you get it; it should serve ya well and shoot DAMNED well!
  10. bgr2014

bgr2014 New Member

If you plan on changing stocks make sure the center to center of the action screws are the same as yours. I did 7 left hand Barrelled 110-111's for a custome and 2 0f them were different. I don't know what the stocks were off of (he bought them) but just glassed the old holes and drilled new ones, best to check it first to avoid such a hassel. Had to make new metal screw seats for front screw and glaassbed. Good Luck
  11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Didn't need to, the new Revolution Tundra stock was cut perfectly for a good tight drop-in fit on the action, but left the barrel free-floated. It shot quarter sized groups at 100 yards without any other modifications, which is as good as I could ever want from a high powered rifle like that. That old Savage has a beautifully crisp 3lb. trigger that breaks like glass and despite the large recoil from the 7mm Rem. Mag. is just amazingly accurate. :cool:
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Y'all wanna know a neat trick for testing to see if bedding and floating will improve the way your rifle shoots without doing anything to the stock??
  13. H-D

H-D Active Member

14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Go to the fridge an drink a can of your favorite beer...

Then take a pair of scissors and cut the can into shims for the action. itll give the reciever a solid even area to seat to under screw tension and lift the barrel out of the channel a good .025" or so. Torque the action screws to 65 in lbs and go shoot it. If the results are outstanding then glass or epoxy bed the action and float the barrel. Remember when bedding only torque the action screws to about 10 in lbs. just enough to seat the action into the stock while the bedding cures.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  15. n4aof

n4aof New Member

I'm hanging on to my older 110FP in .308 -- which was happily shooting <1.5 MOA groups right out of the box without taking the time to find what ammo it likes best. I haven't had the time to take it somewhere to do it justice lately, but our day will come (probably in the spring, because it is already getting rather cold & wet out for my taste)
  16. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Even though there is theoretically some flex asociated, I have done the same thing with a piece of plastic shotshell hull - cut a piece around 1.5 inches long, and place it under the chamber, and tighten the action screws. Did this to an old '03 Springfield "foul weather gun" and it shot so well, I never removed it and bedded the thing.
  17. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

I've owned a few Savage 110's. A little heavy, but great shooters. I now have a new mod. 10 Savage. 243 cal. Syn. stock. I love it. Will hit a dime at 100 yards. All day.