Older Savage 110

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by H-D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Shes neatly packed away in my safe. awaiting her destiny.
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

Yeah! that looks killer I have that stock in nutmeg on my mauser 98 boyds has it in pepper laminate I think it would be awesome with the blued action / barrel
  3. Sandman

Sandman Member

My go to deer rifle is a Savage 110 in .243 from the early '80's. I have never done anything to it, and it is a great (sub-MOA) shooter. I would pay $250 for another in a heartbeat. They are great quality guns, and typically very accurate.
  4. H-D

H-D Active Member

Well I went back to look at it and it doesn't say 110 it says savage model 111 is this the same or is it like a 770 remington?
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the 111s were refined as hunting rifles. plastic stocks, shorter barrels etc. Thats what I built the Savage/CBI on and where the ,308 barrel i have came from. It came off a new savage 11.

They are for all intents and purposes just a purpose built savage 110.
  6. H-D

H-D Active Member

ok cool they have 2 of them now same price
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

What cal? I know the one youre lookin at is oughtsix, what about the other?? I now need a project for the wife.
  8. H-D

H-D Active Member

same both identical 30-06's
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

damn. I was hoping one might be a .243 or a .223 Oh well.. guess i get to go rifle shoppin this weekend..:D
  10. H-D

H-D Active Member

another shop here has a .270 for 279 w/ wood stock Walmart had a .243 w scope for 349 a while back but the girl wouldnt let me look at it and i went back and asked if i could work the bolt the guy looked at me like I was a nutter i asked if I could take the trigger lock out and he about jumped out of his skin
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah walmart isnt known for employing gunfolk.. My wife worked at wally world and I badly wanted her to transfer to sporting goods, but she said its a popular dept to transfer to because you aint gotta do nuttn. I said figures..
  12. H-D

H-D Active Member

Yeah they had a girl here for a while that new some I asked her if they had any 6.5 she asked 6.5 swedish? I said yep she said sold out should have some next tuesday well I aint seen her or that 6.5 since...Theres an old guy Art at the one across town but he's hard to get a hold to
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Did you bed it before you drop in the action? Nice looking laminate!
  14. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Savage has been making the old 110 set up for a LONG time. At one time, they were all long actions, actually EXTRA long actions if you compare them to a 70, or a 700 or a 98. In fact, once upon a time, if you didnt want to spend the extra money for off set rings, you had to actually be careful what scopes you tried to mount on 'em because the scope length of MANY scopes werent long enough to mound on a 110! I have owned quite a few over the years and even owned one, in the OLD VEEERY LONG 110, factory chambered in ............... 222 Remington!! The magazine was blocked for a full HALF of its length to hold the .222 shells! Ive also owned em in 270, and a BUNCH of em in '06. EVERY ONE shot exceptionally well, even one I bought that had been traded in after being used by an Amish man for deer hunting for MANY years - it was terribly dirty, and had been used VERY hard for VERY long. They arent necessarily GRACEFUL, and the "beech hardwood" stocks on most of the early ones were very clubby, kinda like holding onto a 2x4- the lines of the current stocks, and especially the plastic stocks are MUCH better, and are a very comfortable replacement to put on those fat, older ones. Enjoy it when you get it; it should serve ya well and shoot DAMNED well!
  15. bgr2014

bgr2014 New Member

If you plan on changing stocks make sure the center to center of the action screws are the same as yours. I did 7 left hand Barrelled 110-111's for a custome and 2 0f them were different. I don't know what the stocks were off of (he bought them) but just glassed the old holes and drilled new ones, best to check it first to avoid such a hassel. Had to make new metal screw seats for front screw and glaassbed. Good Luck