Older Savage 110

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by H-D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Didn't need to, the new Revolution Tundra stock was cut perfectly for a good tight drop-in fit on the action, but left the barrel free-floated. It shot quarter sized groups at 100 yards without any other modifications, which is as good as I could ever want from a high powered rifle like that. That old Savage has a beautifully crisp 3lb. trigger that breaks like glass and despite the large recoil from the 7mm Rem. Mag. is just amazingly accurate. :cool:
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Y'all wanna know a neat trick for testing to see if bedding and floating will improve the way your rifle shoots without doing anything to the stock??
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Go to the fridge an drink a can of your favorite beer...

Then take a pair of scissors and cut the can into shims for the action. itll give the reciever a solid even area to seat to under screw tension and lift the barrel out of the channel a good .025" or so. Torque the action screws to 65 in lbs and go shoot it. If the results are outstanding then glass or epoxy bed the action and float the barrel. Remember when bedding only torque the action screws to about 10 in lbs. just enough to seat the action into the stock while the bedding cures.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  5. n4aof

n4aof New Member

I'm hanging on to my older 110FP in .308 -- which was happily shooting <1.5 MOA groups right out of the box without taking the time to find what ammo it likes best. I haven't had the time to take it somewhere to do it justice lately, but our day will come (probably in the spring, because it is already getting rather cold & wet out for my taste)
  6. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Even though there is theoretically some flex asociated, I have done the same thing with a piece of plastic shotshell hull - cut a piece around 1.5 inches long, and place it under the chamber, and tighten the action screws. Did this to an old '03 Springfield "foul weather gun" and it shot so well, I never removed it and bedded the thing.
  7. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

I've owned a few Savage 110's. A little heavy, but great shooters. I now have a new mod. 10 Savage. 243 cal. Syn. stock. I love it. Will hit a dime at 100 yards. All day.