Oldest reloading tools.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by army mp, Aug 21, 2009.

1. army mp

army mp Member

I have an old Pacific Super-C" I got back in about 1970. When I started reloading. I used it for many years. And from time to time I go back to it. I think its as tight and strong as ever. I have kept it cleaned up and covered. But to the question what is the oldest press or reloading tool you still use.
  2. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

My Fahter's 1959 RCBS Rock Chucker, The rubber grip split in the 60s, aso it has a metal flake green Stingray bike grip on it now. some surface rust. Over all tight and works great.

90% of my reloading gear is from the 60s and 70s.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am still using the original Lee single stage press that I bought in the 70's. I had to replace the cast aluminum swivel thing (the thing that links the handle & the ram) a couple of years ago. Other than that it is original.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The oldest piece that I've got on the bench now is my C-H three-station "H" press. I can't find any type of year marking on it (like RCBS stamps on their presses) but it was pretty old and ratty looking already when I bought it 15 years ago.

My RCBS Reloader Special press is an '82 model and my pre-fire one was a '76 or '77 model with the light-green crinkle-finish paint instead of glossy metallic "RCBS green".

I used to have an old Redding powder measure and oil-damped scale before my fire. They were old enough to still be wearing brown paint. (60s or 70s?)
  5. army mp

army mp Member

Funny how that old stuff never wares out. The press I lost the primer cup in a move or two, made one out of a plastic water bottle. And the shell holder clip broke. I drilled and taped the ram. With a set screw, it works better than the clip ever did. I have a RCBS case trimmer I got a couple years after the press. Its still gets the job done
  6. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I still on occasion use this Herters Super 3 C press that I purchased from Herter's (of Waseca,MN) in 1965 while stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. This press has loaded thousand's and thousand's of rounds and never blinked. Even though I don't need it any more, I just can't part with it, maybe I'll have it buried with me when my time comes.

Attached Files:

7. Road America

Road America Member

The only press I have is my Herter's Super Model 3 that I bought around 1965 or so. It is a little different from Freebore's - the area where the ram comes out has a square table-like shape. The little spring loaded ball affair they had for holding the ram up when not in use was never any good, other than that it has always worked just great. My loading bench is NOT as neat looking as Freebore's!
  8. Mac0083

Mac0083 New Member

I have a 3 month old Lee turret press that is rusting quite badly... Does that count?
  9. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Road America,

The Model Super 3 you have is the improved version of mine, Herter's did change the design around 1965 and added the indent to the ram to hold up the handle and also added small gusset's to the C webbing to add strength.

If you noticed, my Super 3 is mounted on a wedge that keeps the handle upright.

As for the neatness....well, it's not always like that........
  10. Rembrandt

Rembrandt Member

Have no idea how old these are....maybe 1950's-1960's?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  11. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I have a three position C-H "H" press also. I use the center stage to resize/deprime pistol brass.
  12. 45colt

45colt New Member

I have used these winchester model 1894 tools, to reload Black powder shells for my 38-70 win 1886 and for my winchester 1894 38-55.
    Still they work nicely to load up the shells, and seat the primer,
    , ph-11288.jpg

ph-11289.jpg
  13. jondar

jondar New Member

I still have an old Lyman Nutcracker tool I bought from a gentleman who bought it in the 1940's. With a set of original dies for .300 Savage. It came with the expander punch in both .308 and .311 so I load for the 30-06, Arisaka 7.7mm, Lee Enfield No, 1 MK III*, and just neck resize as long as they are fired in the same rifle. I use it sometimes on winter nights on the kitchen table like I did when I bought it, it was all I could affrord. Makes good ammo, just slower.
  14. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

Freebore, looks like you've got a few classic presses to back that one up too. Care to share any pics/info of them?

Andy
  15. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Andy,

A few more oldies.....the Texan H3 301 is from the sixties and was completely rebuilt awhile back. When I picked this one up someone had painted it completely black (including the upright columns and wood handle), it looked like it was ready for the scrap pile.

The green machine is a Deitemeyer Model 300 in 12 ga. (maybe late 50's), it also was in pretty bad shape when I got it and was restored to what you see in the pics. After multiple buyouts by Deitemeyer, Pacific, and Hornady, this press eventually evolved into today's Hornady 366 Auto.

Both presses are still used on occasion...I have some others around that I'll post later on....

Attached Files:

• PIC.jpg
      PIC.jpg
      File size:
      71.2 KB
      Views: