Oldest reloading tools.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by army mp, Aug 21, 2009.

1. dmh

dmh New Member

dang, nice presses. Never seen a stand-alone priming press like that.
    Hey Kevin, what happened to your Herters? :)
  2. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

You mean this one?

[​IMG]

I believe I sold it to you. How's it doing?

I still have the pictured Lyman AA for sale.
  3. Kestral

Kestral Member

Have two Lyman AA presses that have been in use since 1974,but only one useable small pistol primer punch. Have tried all over for a replacement punch with no success,asked Lyman,was told ,buy a new press.
  4. dmh

dmh New Member

Yup, doing well. Need a proper workbench for that beast chunk of metal though.
  5. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I have a Bair press I picked up some time ago, no Idea when it was made.
  6. mikld

mikld Active Member

A lot of nice presses out there; I'd love to have one of those Hollywood "tanks". My bestest press is an old C-H single stage that I believe was made in late 50s or early 60s. I haven't been able to determine just how old she is, only looking at pics. She is still tight and is my go-to press for my "precision" stuff. I paid $13 for her in '86...
  7. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

If you contact Pressman at Castboolits and show him a pic of it, he should be able to date it.

And,
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  8. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

While I no longer have the LEE setup I first bought when I started loading in '73, nor the RCBS Rockchucker Jr. that replaced it in the late '70s, I often wish I hadn't gotten rid of them. Oh well, life has it's priorities. Other than the three sets of Herter dies (.30-40, .30-06, & .35Rem) from the 60s that I hang onto, the only old equipment I have is stuff from the late 19th century and early 20th for loading 12 shotgun shells. There's a lot of vintage equipment that I would really like to own/collect but I just don't have the spare space to keep it. My hat's off to those of you do, the stuff looks great.
  9. snowshooze

snowshooze New Member

Here's my Senior...
    http://f32.yahoofs.com/mapann/1000/sr_8c242d0b986cc0.jpg?lc_____DPljKJtdw
    It's my first adventure in a refurbish, inspired by Freebore and Kevin...
    This one is now on ebay, but it is a great press. I have a C&H Magnum H in process..and have located a Hollywood Universal which I only hope will turn out as well as Kevin's... it will be a keeper.
  10. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

The shaft on your Senior should shine-up nicely. As it has a tight tolerance with the shellholder ram carrier, I'd disassemble the press and try lightly hand-buffing it w/ a gray (fine) or even white (very fine) Scotchbrite pad and a penetrating oil. Don't use enough force that will cause the dimensions to change.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  11. Smely

Smely New Member

I have just acquired a Texan H3 301 exactly like Freebore's. (Well sort of, mines in pretty bad shape) I'm going to try and restore it but am having trouble getting the lower torsion cylinder that attaches to the pull arm to come out (Freebore you have mail).
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

just scored a Super Simplex

a Aussie licensed clone of a rock chucker , its in the oil bath at the moment , its ok but rats made a nest in the box over the years its from 1963-4

heres the box

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  13. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

I have never seen a Simplex, so am looking forward to seeing pictures.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  14. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

The Laymans is one that i picked up at a gun show for $35.00 and restored it.I also have the 7/8-14 thread adapter plate for it as well. The Pacific i just bought from my grandfathers estate. Going to keep it just the way it is. I only have the 2 shell holder for it 30/06 and 45/70.

Attached Files:

15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

about two weeks if the weathers fine , if not , sooner ;)
  16. bobnoffs

bobnoffs New Member

in about 1965 i bought a caSE TRIMMER for my 22-250. it was from ''zimmerman''. it still works and only cost a few bucks. still hase the cardboard shipping box it came in. anyone have a case trimmer like this?
    bob noffs
  17. korny351

korny351 New Member

Still using my RCBS Rockchucker (stamped '73) and Ohaus 10-10 beam scale that I first started with back in '73 or '74. Looking forward to bringing my Ohaus Duo-Measure back online as well. The powder reservoir broke during a move and I've been unable to find a factory replacement. Took an empty bottle of Propel flavored water and removed the threading on the neck. It actually fits better than the original plastic reservoir. Cut a hole in the bottom and fitted a stopper. Haven't tried it out yet. Hoping that the plastic in the bottle doesn't create a major static issue.