Olympia shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dwmclynn, Jun 1, 2012.

1. dwmclynn

dwmclynn New Member

Hi, my name is Dennis and I'm new to this site. I just inherited a single shot shotgun with a hammer. On the top of the 32 inch barrel, near the breech, it's stamped OLYMPIA and on the bottom of the barrel it's stamped 12. On the inside of the trigger guard is the number 13341 and under the trigger guard is the number 3341. That's all the markings I've found.

The wood is in VG condition and the barrel is FAIR (the blueing is gone). No rust but it's tarnished. The gun is tight.

From the research I've done, I believe it was made by Iver Johnson and it's a 12 ga. I don't plan on selling it but would like to know it's approximate value. I'm most interested in the manufacturer, age, and can I shoot it with todays ammo?

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Dennis.

Is the marking OLYMPIA or OLYMPIC?

Vorisek's "Shotgun Markings" does not list brand name Olympia, but lists Olympic made by Stevens for Morley & Murphy Hardware of Green Bay Wisconsin, and Olympic Arms made by Iver Johnson for Morley Bros. of Saginaw Michigan.

Regardless, old brand name single barrels are not highly valued, usually less than $100.

If it's an Iver Johnson, those with all numeric serial numbers were made ca 1909-1919.
    So it's probably at or near 100 years old, and may have shorter chambers than current ammo, and is best retired.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  3. dwmclynn

dwmclynn New Member

Thanks for getting back to me hrf.

It is clearly OLYMPIA.

Earlier today while searching for OLYMPIA shotguns I read a post on shotgunworld.com which said "Found two listings for Olympic and Olympia Arms Co, both are "TradeBrand Name" shotguns. The Olympic was made by Stevens & the Olympia was made by Iver Johnson."

He then says the Olympic was sold by Morley & Murphy Hardware of Green Bay, WI and the Olympia (he repeats Olympic but I think it's a typo) was sold by the Morley Brothers of Saginaw, MI.

This is just an FYI. Thanks again for your help!