Olympic Arms??

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by indynotch50, Dec 7, 2006.

1. indynotch50

indynotch50 New Member

What do you all know about olympic arms? I know a guy that will give me a good deal on one and I was curious how they compared to all the other ARs on the market. Thanks all!
  2. SKYDIVER386

SKYDIVER386 New Member

Very poor quality. I would pass on it. I lived just down the road from the factory a few years ago and bought an AR from the showroom. The machining was so rough inside the reciever that it wore down the bearing surfaces of the bolt carrier in short order.

The barrels and some of the 1911 parts that Oly sells are ok, but complete guns have been poorly fitted and a lot of trouble in my experience.

Look at the gun very closely and see if all the parts fight tight, or if they are loose. Look inside the upper reciever and see if it is polished smooth, or if has rough machining marks. This will let you know the quality and longevity of that gun.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Indy, they are pretty much the low man on the totum so to speak...If it were me I'd spend a little more and pick up a Bushmaster.

Thats not to say that there aren't good ones out there and if you are inclined to work on it, it may be a decent firearm.

Let us know how it turns out!

Crpdeth
  4. indynotch50

indynotch50 New Member

Thanks for the honesty all. Yeah i'm sure some people have had one for years without any trouble. But I work in warranty/ reliability so that is my #1 issue with everything I get. There are a few people interested so I will just look for something else. Thanks again all.
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

The old saying comes in to play with them.
    YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
    That being said their military version select fire ones are great and reliable but they do somethin different for the civilian ones.
  6. KAMANFTW

KAMANFTW New Member

The Olympic Arms AR's that I've seen are pretty shabby. If you want quality, I agree with the other guys that Bushmaster is a good choice. Their fit and finish are almost always perfect.

You should also consider AR's from Armalite(if you don't mind not having a true military type flash suppressor), Colt(pay attention to the front take down pin. Try to get a later model with the small, milspec takedown pins), and DPMS(tons of options). Try to get catalogs from the differing companies and start dreaming. I know Bushmaster's catalog can be downloaded. Armalites' website looks to be restricted.

There are also various smaller companies that now have AR offerings, such as Stag Arms and Wilson Combat. Of course, prices vary considerably. With AR's, you're entering a magical land of variants and accessories galore.

KAMAN
  7. indynotch50

indynotch50 New Member

I think you mean by all the choices it's more stressful than anything. thanks for all the answers all. I will just see what comes up in the near future. The only problem is that I could buy 1 ar or 3 or 4 other guns of various sizes...haha, once again, thanks all!
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Yummy :p
  9. sharps_74

sharps_74 New Member

I have an Oly. and can say that out of all the AR15's that I've had it is the only one that I have put two bullets into one hole at 100yds.. True, some of the Olys. have been junk. Then again, I've had weapons made by Colt and others that I wouldn't take into the field. What I'm saying is before you buy a used weapon look it over as though your life may depend on it as it may sometime.
  10. Wraath

Wraath New Member

My Olympic is moa accurate as well but I wouldn't buy another. My Bushmaster 20" target model (223) is my most accurate hands down. 2500+ rounds and no problems. My favorite though is a RRA 16" mid length barrel in 223. Not too heavy, silly accurate, chrome lined barrel, dependable, and the ammo is cheaper than 308.

Good luck.

W.