OMAHA BEACH CARABINE

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by reinhard, Jul 2, 2010.

1. reinhard

reinhard Member

thanks
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The stock marking is called the "cartouche" by US collectors (after the term used by Egyptologists for Pharonic symbols); this one indicates the carbine was inspected and accepted by the government from "UEF" (The Underwood Elliott Fisher Company of Hartford, Connecticut, a maker of typewriters and calculating machines before the war). Underwood made a total of 545,617 carbines in four serial number blocks.

The "GHD" is the initials of Brigadier General Guy H. Drewry, who was head of the Springfield (Massachusetts) Ordnance District, which included Hartford, from June 17, 1942 to July 15, 1945. His initials appear on Colt and Smith & Wesson pistols as well as all other ordnance material made in that district at that time. Sometimes he is described as "an inspector" but he never actually inspected anything; he was the Army officer responsible for production and quality in that district.

The second mark is the U.S. Army Ordnance symbol, sometimes called a "wheel" but actually an old-time gunner's belt. It is the official acceptance stamp. The actual proof mark will be the letter "P" under the pistol grip. (The US generally put the proof mark on the stock, since many American receivers were so hard that proof stamps would not properly mark them.)

The "P" on the barrel is the barrel proof, put on when the barrel passed a proof test as a barrel, before it was installed on the carbine. The ordnance "bomb" on the barrel was another Ordnance acceptance stamp, but for the barrel. The "dimple" on the bolt is from a hardness testing machine.

Jim
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. reinhard

reinhard Member

4. reinhard

reinhard Member

thanks ,verry intresting
  5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Try calling it a Carbine. ;)
  6. Orlando

Orlando Member

Very nice early original carbine, but ya I wouldnt buy the story
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, it has none of the upgrades that went into effect in the 1944-45 era or post-WWII. That does not prove the Omaha Beach story, but there is nothing obvious to contradict it either. It is a pretty safe bet that no carbine remaining in U.S. service would have escaped without most if not all those mods (adjustable sight, bayonet lug, flip safety).

BTW, Shrek, go easy on Reinhard; I know I could not post as well in his language as he has in mine.

Jim
  8. reinhard

reinhard Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

My wife always says I could never be taken for anything but an American, but I once was asked, in Brussels, for directions to the Royal Palace. I could pretty well understand the question, but the man didn't understand English, and I speak no Dutch/Flemish. We finally settled on German, which each of us spoke some, and I gave him the directions.

Jim
  10. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Re: OMAHA BEACH CARBINE

Aw, heck, I thought he was a Reinhardt from Louisianna, lots of 'em there ;)
    Hrm...I best keep to proper english instead of local dialects...

But then, that's how you learn...when the corrections start :)

Een enkele taal is nooit genoeg ;)
  11. reinhard

reinhard Member

Re: OMAHA BEACH CARBINE

Hi Big Shrek ,and you are absolutly right my friend that's how you learn
    and thank you for telling me its carbine ,
    a single language is never enough,

regards
    Reinhard