1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

OMG.....6-year-old killed after getting caught in a wood chipper

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jlloyd73, Apr 15, 2012.

1. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow, that is sad. The poor child and family. I just cannot imagine that.
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I hate to be morbid, but I am a realist. The worst part for me is the thought (well knowing) that those industrial chippers don't just stop chipping when something goes in there. This father is probably going to go crazy over this..........I know I would.
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I didn't get to watch the video as my Linux is not letting me see it.

Why would you have your 6 year old around a wood chipper to begin with?

I feel for the man and he will never be the same and quite possible that he will end up buried next to his child in short order.
  5. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

My question also. They said this guy had a tree trimming service and was well known in his community. I guess the kid was no stranger to this type of machinery...........but regardless, I wouldn't let my kids within 200ft of one of these beasts. All it takes is for one branch to grab your shirt sleeve or glove...and you had better be able to pull yourself loose quick.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Those chippers pull whatever is put into them and they pull hard. I would imagine the boy was putting some branches in and they caught onto the boy and they literally pulled him off his feet. I am sure the father was trying to teach the boy good work ethics but it turned into a tragedy.

IMO I would only have an adult feed a wood chipper. I would have the kids handing me the branches. Then again, kids are curious so maybe the boy was putting the branches into the chipper because boys have a natural tendency to like to deystroy stuff. I am not going to judge this poor father. If I were living by him I would be over there finishing the job while the father grieved for his son. I think I would be bringing the family meals for a while. Poor father. I wish this on no one.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I just hope the dad doesnt decide its more than he can handle. Prayers from here.
  8. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

Way to young.
    I don't think i could handle it.
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thats terrible. Such a horrible death.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  10. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Holy crap. My first thought was not pleasant. I hope he can handle it. I don't know if I could. Prayers are defiantly with this family
  11. USNative

USNative New Member

I hate to be harsh but it was total ignorance on the fathers part. No one should allow a child to be near machinery such as that. I am sorry for him and the family for the loss but this death was unnecessary and could have been prevented.

I used to operate a chipper in a sawmill and I know what they can do. They pull as they cut and if it catches you you don't have a chance.

I doubt the poor child felt a thing thank god. Very sad news! :(
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  12. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thats not being harsh. That is a fact.
  13. Bocc44

Bocc44 New Member

This is just so sad.

I live up the road from where this occurred. The town where this happened is very small and friendly..the type of town where everyone knows each other. I am sure everyone feels the pain from this horrendous incident.

All My prayers
  14. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

This is depressing...I didn't even open the link to the article...I couldn't read it.