On a ca legal ar15 how do u load up a nondetachable magazine im so confused???

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by coreyacp, Dec 7, 2009.

1. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

please explain if it doesnt come off then how the hell do u load it?!
  2. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

IIRC, the mag can be removable with a tool. And the tip of a cartridge counts as a tool.
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have a FAB-10 which has a blind magazine well. The magazine is fitted permanently (with rivets) to the gun. It must be loaded from the top one round at a time, much like you load a magazine out of the gun.

To do this you pull the rear pin (the FAB-10 has a large ring on it for ease of pulling the pin). It stops almost all the way out and stays in the gun. You crack the gun open to its limit and then load the magazine from the top of the lower. It is not ideal but at the time I bought the lower it was the only way to have an AR-15. Since then it has been determined by the courts that the gun is not illegal if it takes a tool to remove the magazine and that a bullet point is a tool. On these guns you push the special "Bullet Button" magazine release button with the point of a bullet and the magazine drops out. You load it up out of the gun and re-insert the magazine.

While the magazine is out of the gun you MAY BE in a legal grey area. With the magazine out of the gun it MAY BE considered an assault weapon by some over zealous COP. So make the magazine changes rapidly and leave an empty magazine in the gun at all times. Remember 10 round magazines are the only legal magazines for use in CA.

LDBennett
  5. lowracer

lowracer New Member

There's no problem in leaving the mag out if you have a bullet-button equipped rifle.

It is also legal to use your 30-round (or larger) mags if you owned them before the ban, but you cannot use them with a bullet button. There's no law against possession or use of 30-round mags in CA.

To use your 30-round mags you have to pull every evil cosmetic feature off the rifle including the pistol grip. Without the pistol grip you have a problem trying to hold the weapon, so there are several options on the market for replacing the pistol grip.

-Mark
    Exile Machine LLC
    www.exilemachine.com
  6. springerbuster

springerbuster Member

I hated selling my class III Mac 11 when I moved to Washington from Oregon, but at least I was able to trade for a pre ban AR 15. No disrespect to all of you Californians, but there is no way I would give up any more of my gun rights by living there. Sorry guys I do like California (I was born there) I just wouldn't be able to handle the strict gun laws. Hey there is always 2010 and 2012, maybe we can all get some of our gun rights back, like class III weapons in Washington. I know this is the wrong forum for this thread, sorry I just had to vent.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010