Once and for all: which has greater recoil, 9mm. or .45

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

In an alloy frame the .45acp has more umph! then the 9mm because of the larger bullet pushing out of the barrel. In a heavier frame, the .45acp is still more noticeable then the 9mm but more manageable.

However you look at it, the .45acp will still have more recoil then the 9mm (9x19-9x17), unless you cheat and install a comp.
  2. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

To answer the question I'd say the .45 has the greater recoil. I have shot both and feel the bigger bang and more of a kick on the .45. But, design and type of gun has a lot to do with what kind of recoil as pointed out earlier. To my surprise I shot a 357 magnum, in a short revolver. The kick was straight back, but a very comfortable kick, easy to handle this gun actually kicked less than my 9mm in motion. Yes I know this is an old thread but a good subject.
  3. Jay

Jay New Member

too many variables........

build or use a test block that will safely hold and fire a .45, and one for a 9mm...... with the weight of each assembly the same, the .45 will recoil more. Any other configuration will affect the recoil of one or the other firearm.

just my nickel's worth.........
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Easily a dimes worth. :):):):)

Thanks, Jay....

Donny
  5. Surplussam

Surplussam New Member

.45 acp VS 9mm in recoil?

It depends on the weight of gun. Simple as that.
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

evaluating PERCEIVED recoil, you're correct. To evaluate ACTUAL recoil, (as in overcoming inertia) both platforms must be equal to discern any recoil differences. Otherwise you're comparing apples to oranges.

if my opinion is not correct, I'm willing to learn........ ;)
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

in my experience the 9mm can be obnoxious with its recoil... Its "snappy" where as the 45acp is more gracefull when it recoils...unless its a lightweight commander then it bucks a bit

Hey crp... I miss those guys too. Even ipt..... Lol

Mike
    Gn
  8. Geoff

Geoff New Member

I have a Springfield 45. Also a taurus 9. Never shot it, but from balistic tables it is about the same as a 38. A 357 is much better as a stopper, but a 45 is excellent too. I think a 9 is underpowered. Geoff
  9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Agree. 45's make great dancing partners.
  10. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

The 9mm was developed to be used in a 4" barreled firearm. The 45 ACP was developed to be fired in a 5" barreled firearm. Using any barrel length less than the original and you will have more flash and noise. That will influence your perception of recoil. You can be punched with less force than a shove. Would you rather be punched or shoved? A 12 guage shotgun has less recoil than a 20 guage for the same weight payload. Now before you all get your flame throwers out give me a chance to explain. To throw the same load as a 2 3/4 12g, you will need a 3" magnum 20g. It is the same priciple as the 44 mag vs the 45 Colt. If both are shooting 250 gr bullets at the same velocity, the 45 Colt (not 45 ACP) will do so with less pressure because the cartridge is larger, hence less pressure, hence less recoil. You can shoot reduced recoil 12g ammo that will carry the same payload as a magnum 20g and because of the larger hull will do so with less recoil. A semiauto 12g with a mag extension is a very formidable weapon. At close range the shotgun shot pattern will be small so you will still need to aim the shotgun. That is why it should have a ghost ring peep rear sight and a fiberoptic or night sight front sight. Bird shot will make a very nasty surface wound. Remember Dick Cheney's infamous hunting accident where he shot his friend in the face with bird shot? If that had been 00 Buck, the result would have been much different. They are also finding that reduced recoil 12g 00 Buck has a better pattern and better control than the regular 00 Buck load. Hope some of this info helps.