1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

once shot brass capacity different why!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by billr, May 11, 2005.

1. billr

billr New Member

Loading Benchmark , several of the cases overfilled , I checked the powder charge on a beam scales and they read correctly at 26 grains . I am using once fired brass, the majority of the cases filled up to 1/4 inch from the top, any ideas ?
    Why the case capacity being that different.
    PS, I hope that Benchmark shoots as it is a neat powder to work with.
  2. billr

billr New Member

problem solved tumbling medium packed in case around primer.
  3. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

Good catch bill. If something doesn't smell right it usually isn't. You probably just saved turning a good gun into a paper weight.

Smoky the been there done exactly that guy.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Years ago when I got my Dillon vibrational cleaner, I used their liquid cleaner in it. I'd dump the brass in, poor the clenaer on top, put the cover on and turn it on. I stopped using that approach when at the range a primer went off without setting the powder off and pushed the bullet about an inch or two into the barrel. Luckily I realized the problem without packing a second bullet behind the stuck first one. A glob of the corn cob media, stuck together wiht the polishing liquid was stuck in the bottom on the case. The primer went off with enough force to send the bullet part way up the barrel and the glob isolated the powder from the heat of the primer so the powder did not ignite.

I now make it a practice to rattle the empty brass around after cleaning to knock out any media and I pore the liquid cleaner in the empty Dillon cleaner, running it for a minute or so to distribute it around the media before adding the brass.

LDBennett
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Good tip, LD.
  6. verdejt

verdejt New Member

I use the liquid polish in my media when I polish my brass. I however wait until after the brass has been cleaned and polished before I deprime. That way I can catch the above cited case and don't have worry about that too often. However that doesn't mean that I don't check each case inside and out for problems.