One Down, Two to Go.....................

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/17/02 11:54:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All One Down, Two to Go.....................
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just returned tonight from the muley deer hunt over near Reserve, N.M. with Cointoss2 and Shootist3006.

Poor ol' Ben and John never got to see anything with horns until we were driving home and saw a 3x3 just before crossing over the NM/Ariz state line!

I got a nice 4x4 on the 2nd evening of the hunt when it was so dark, the muzzle flash blinded me for a couple of seconds and we couldn't tell what happened to him.

More to follow when I'm not so tired!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/18/02 3:18:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: One Down, Two to Go.....................
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Way to go Kdub. You ol' farts really know how to get it done, don't ya. I am really glad for you.

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/18/02 4:52:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: One Down, Two to Go.....................

Quote:
    it was so dark, the muzzle flash blinded me for a couple of seconds

the deer was probably blinded as well with the spotlight in his eyes

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/18/02 5:38:37 pm)
    Well, here's the rest of the story............

Cointoss, Shootist3006 and I drove over to Reserve in my extended cab pickup. A beautiful drive on a beautiful day. Got into camp about 2 PM to find several elk hunters from Arkansas still there, trying hard to come up with either sex elk. CT had a wall tent to himself, Shootist and I shared one. Carpeted floors, cots with waffle sponge pads, propane light and indirect heater. Both were sorely needed - got up in the dark and went to bed in the dark. Nighttime tempratures dipped down into the 8 - 10 deg range. Daytime up to the mid-60's. Hard to dress accordingly.

First day, skunked. We saw some does at 600-700 yd range, nothing with horns. Decided if this was gonna be the typical type of hunting, we'd be better off without the levergun 45-70's and hauled out the long range centerfires. Ct and Shootist using 30-06's, mine was a 6.5-06. This was the last day of elk hunting for the intriped trio from Arkansas - they saw nothing either. Each paid $3500 and never popped a cap.

Second day, almost skunked. At very last light, the guide had arrived to collect me from my perch overlooking a long cleared pasture with drinker tanks, cedar stumps and varied small scrub brush. As we were loading my gear into the truck, he said "There's some deer!" Peering into the murky gloom, 3 bobbing white rearends could be seen headed away over on the left hand side of the clearing, about 200 yds out. They turned to the right and crossed the clearing approx 275 yds away and continued right until nearing the ranch road trail, where they slowed up and looked both ways (for oncoming traffic, I assume!). It was so dark and the distance was great enough that it was hard to discern whether any thing grew above the big ears. Finally figured out the lead deer did have something, but then he stepped into the brush and was lost from sight. The second deer paused on the side of the road after crossing it just long enough for me to get him into the scope (cranked up to 9 X) and the guide to say "he's got horns!" Held for a low behind-the-shoulders shot (sighted in at 300 yds, was shooting downhill) and squeezed. And squeezed, and squeezed - forgot to take the safety off! Flipped the safety off, got targeted again just as his head was disappearing into the brush. Touched off the round, only to witness a great big pinkish white light bloom in the scope! Deer scattered everywhere and we couldn't tell which way the shot at buck went.

Loaded the truck, hauled a$$ down to where we thought they had been and started looking for sign. By then, the moon was starting up, turning everything bluish dark. Using small flashlights we couldn't find tracks (hard buffalo grass covered ground), blood, hair - NADA! We circled and circled the area but could find absolutely nothing. Finally gave up to continue the search the next day when we'd have the time and light to track out. Wasn't worried about meat spoilage, as the nighttime temp's dropped into the teens and mornings were brisk. Ct and Shootist - zip. Does only.

3rd Day- Got back to the pasture as the sun was coming up and started looking. Could find nothing but our own foot prints. Just as we were giving up and back in the truck to discuss things, I looked up the road about 75 yds and the same distance to the right and saw what appeared to be a deer's whiteish tan rearend laying under a cedar bush. YUP - it was my deer! A 4x4 buck with a 19 1/2" spread - no record or trophy, but a nice one. The shot had hit exactly as targeted, slipped between the ribs on the right side, buggered up the lungs and heart, then smacked a rib on the off side as it exited. A Sierra Pro-Hunter 120 gr flat base SP with a chrony'd muzzle velocity of 3300 fps out the 26" barrel.

He was still in good shape - cooled down, but not frozen. There was a very small spot of blood directly under him, a very faint blood trail for about 7-8 feet from where he came from, then nothing. Never saw a deer lung and heart shot with two wound holes and not bleed any more than that! 'Course, when we opened him up there were about 50 gallons still inside!

Back at camp, ol' CT and Shootist wanted to go to town for showers ($5 each)and lunch. Strung the deer up in the shade, put a buck bag over him to keep the birds off and we went to town. There will be a story of my losing my green silk long johns in the motel/cafe and the owner wearing them at the Friday night table dance she does - just be aware there are two sides to every story!!! That afternoon hunt - again zip for the fabulous duo.

4th Day - While I boned out the deer and packed in the cooler, the guys were still seeing only does and a very small spike buck. Back to town for showers and lunch. Nothing that afternoon. After supper, we gathered at the campfire ring with a couple bottles of Bob's Best, tossed cedar stumps into the fire and sat back with outstretched legs to tell stories and tease one another. Everyone agreed the hunt was a bust, due to previous months of elk and deer hunting from the same camp and area. The outfitter just didn't want to move the camp to a fresher area, so we were left with the dregs of 3 months wear and tear.

5th day - No one wanted to go out the last day of the hunt, figuring it would be the same fruitless searching of previous days, so we loaded up and hauled freight for home. Another bluebird day for traveling thru beautiful country. As we neared the New Mex/Ariz state line, a 3x3 buck and doe crossed the road right in front of us! That, plus my deer were the only legal bucks Cointoss and Shootist were to see the whole trip! Got home in time to pull a Polishshooter and trim, cut up and wrap the meat for the freezer.

We now leave by plane in the early morning for CT's farm in Michigan for another week of both buck and doe whitetail hunting. May have more stories on that one, later!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/26/02 11:12:34 pm)
    Just back from Cointoss2's farm NE of Traverse City, Mi.

Long story short - saw several does, nothing really to shoot at. We were hunting the 2nd week of the season with a bad moon phase. The critters were holed up early and came out late.

Maybe Cointoss and Sweetsoo will have better luck now with their house guest gone! Sure hope so.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Shootist3006
    (12/2/02 3:58:47 pm)
    Since Cointoss hid my sleeping bag at kdub's place, I must refrain from posting the 'TRUE' story of of the green silk underwear until the 'hostage' (sleeping bag) is rescued.

It is enough for now to caution all that it is not a story for young and tender ears.

Semper Fi

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/4/02 10:01:01 pm)
    Trying to post picture of the New Mexico buck.............

"Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Edited by: kdub01 at: 12/4/02 11:35:57 pm