One for Jim Hauff

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jim K, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Jim Hauff and guys,

I picked up this rare collector's item yesterday and it is marked Iver Johnson so I am sure you know all about it. I am sure it is valuable as it is much rarer than a common gun like the Colt Paterson.

Seriously, it is an IJ small frame barrel installed on a frame of unknown make, apparently as a proof of concept for a, well, unique cylinder stop system. The gun is in poor shape but probably was not that way when the work was done. The additional top strap part that holds the mechanism is riveted and soldered on. The IJ barrel has been altered, then fitted and pinned into the frame. To make things more "modern" the inventor installed a coil mainspring. All in all, a decent piece of workmanship. The idea seems to work, though the gun itself would have been obsolete when it was worked over.

The spur trigger is conventional, as is the cylinder pin, but the barrel had to be drilled out to accept it. The hammer is made for a rimfire cartridge, and the cylinder will accept .32 RF rounds. No, I did not fire it!

The gun is out of time (naturally), but the idea should have worked at least as well as some other cylinder stop systems.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Ah, American ingenuity and improvision! Are the barrel and cylinder the same caliber I hope?
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jim K.
    Nice find. Too bad it isn't made with H&R parts, I would have offered a small fortune for it!!!!:p
    Does it operate? I like that top strap gizmo to stop barrel rotation.

Your find reminds me of a "find" I found awhile back - I believe it to be another example of American ingenuity and improvisation. Ever see anything like this one?

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Hopkins & Allen added a similar ejector to some of their XL solid frame models, maybe where the H&R mechanic got his idea:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  5. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Bubba, the early years.:D
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That ejector is nice, sort of like the ones on the European revolvers. Maybe we could start a "neatest gunsmith idea" contest.

Jim
  7. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

1) JimK, that thing is kind of neat. I wonder if there is any way to find out if a patent was ever issued for it?

2) Jim Hauff, does that thing actually work, or is the head of the ejector rod fouled by the muzzle? (As well as fouling the emergence of a bullet?)

3) TRAP55 - LOL!
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

9. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Thanks, Jim - I couldn't visualize it from the other photos. Whoever made that did nice work.

PS - Please please please do the book?