The Firearms Forum banner

One for Jim Hauff

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Lanrezac 
#1 ·
Hi, Jim Hauff and guys,

I picked up this rare collector's item yesterday and it is marked Iver Johnson so I am sure you know all about it. I am sure it is valuable as it is much rarer than a common gun like the Colt Paterson.

Seriously, it is an IJ small frame barrel installed on a frame of unknown make, apparently as a proof of concept for a, well, unique cylinder stop system. The gun is in poor shape but probably was not that way when the work was done. The additional top strap part that holds the mechanism is riveted and soldered on. The IJ barrel has been altered, then fitted and pinned into the frame. To make things more "modern" the inventor installed a coil mainspring. All in all, a decent piece of workmanship. The idea seems to work, though the gun itself would have been obsolete when it was worked over.

The spur trigger is conventional, as is the cylinder pin, but the barrel had to be drilled out to accept it. The hammer is made for a rimfire cartridge, and the cylinder will accept .32 RF rounds. No, I did not fire it!

The gun is out of time (naturally), but the idea should have worked at least as well as some other cylinder stop systems.

Jim

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Jim K.
Nice find. Too bad it isn't made with H&R parts, I would have offered a small fortune for it!!!!:p
Does it operate? I like that top strap gizmo to stop barrel rotation.

Your find reminds me of a "find" I found awhile back - I believe it to be another example of American ingenuity and improvisation. Ever see anything like this one?

Metal Iron Steel Household hardware Trigger

Metal Household hardware Iron Tool Steel

Product Metal Stationery Silver Tool accessory

Brown Metal Beige Bronze Stationery

#4 · (Edited)
Jim K.
Nice find. Too bad it isn't made with H&R parts, I would have offered a small fortune for it!!!!:p
Does it operate? I like that top strap gizmo to stop barrel rotation.

Your find reminds me of a "find" I found awhile back - I believe it to be another example of American ingenuity and improvisation. Ever see anything like this one?
Hopkins & Allen added a similar ejector to some of their XL solid frame models, maybe where the H&R mechanic got his idea:

Attachments

#7 ·
1) JimK, that thing is kind of neat. I wonder if there is any way to find out if a patent was ever issued for it?

2) Jim Hauff, does that thing actually work, or is the head of the ejector rod fouled by the muzzle? (As well as fouling the emergence of a bullet?)

3) TRAP55 - LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.