One hand or Two

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kieran McCaig, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

I was at the range tonight and the guy beside had a 1944 Colt 191a1 .I mentioned that i was looking at getting one and he handed it over with ammo.Not knowing the gun I shot it with 2 hands and then of course heard the you shot like a girl afterwards.The question is one hand or two not my gun and it's 65 years old what would you do.
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I have to use TWO HANDS because mine is soooo big.... :D:D:D:D

what an opportunity for a smartcrack....layed right at my feet.... :D:D;)

mike
    gn
  3. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

maybe your hands are just really small.
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Good comeback..... :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  5. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

my mind is just as twisted as yours my friend
  6. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

I always shoot with two hands even when it's just a .22, the only exception being when I have a .22 in each hand cause sometimes it's fun to unload two pistols into a target when you're on private property. :)
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

I use two hands. I do practice with both strong and weak hand also.

Art
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Same here. I have an eyedominace problem I am trying to over come also so I have practicing more with my right hand. It seems the older I get the more dominant my left eye becomes.
  9. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

When AT ALL possible due to angle of available shot, etc., I use two hands. I shoot .44mag very regularly and love it. The habit of using two hands has benefits.
    More stability=more accuracy. Two hands are more stable no matter the caliber or pistol.
    Two hands=more control. Whether recoil or overcoming sweaty palms in a fight a more controlled gun is more stable, see above benefit.
    Second (and third, etc.) shot accuracy and speed will be improved due to a better stabilized and controlled gun.
    Heck, I could go on all day. The only times it's acceptable to use one hand on a handgun are (#1) when there is no other choice and (#2) in practice for occasions where (#1) happens.
    Not trying to sound like "he-man" here, but I've got strong hands and am accustomed to recoil. I CAN shoot .44mag with both strong and weak hand fairly well. I WILL use both hands if I possibly can.
    In my book feel free to counter someone who uses the "shoot like a girl" comment with a "shoot like an untrained idiot" comment.
  10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I shoot like a girl, and I am not bad. I support my right hand with my left, around here that's what everyone does, the guys would never make fun of me because they know I can outshoot them. Heh.
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

lol

i use two hands some of the time, it depends on the notion im in. i practice with all 3hands. left, right, and both. when im just plinking i do some of each. first time i shot a 44 mag i shot the first shot two handed then a few with one hand, and a few with two.
  12. artabr

artabr New Member

As is the case with a lot of women. Ask the guys at the Camp Perry Nationals.
    For example take the 3 Gallagher girls below.

"Nancy Tompkins lives in Prescott, Arizona with her husband, Mid. She is the mother of Michelle Gallagher (member of the 2007 Palma Team and five times Wimbledon Champion) and Sherri Gallagher-Hurd (current World Long Range Champion and 2007 U-25 Team). Nancy has been on six Palma Teams since 1985. Her major accomplishments include four times National Long Range Champion, National High Power Champion, five times Leech Cup winner and numerous other awards".

These are 1000 yard matches.
    I WISH I could shoot like these girls.

Art
  13. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I do it with each - LH, RH, then both, etc. I have a friend who fancies himself a trick shooter and shoots a 38 using his feet - and actually hits the target. He uses two feet, but only one toe. So I guess shooting like a girl is somewhat better than shooting like a monkey.

[​IMG]

Please-let me know if my signature picture is showing up or not. It is a gif image ... (it is the funny one below the sig line...)
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  14. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

My gosh yes, use two hand if at all possible!
    The only time I use one hand is if the other is filled with a flashlight -

The Military teaches two handed shooting -
    All police departments teach two handed shooting -

I wonder if this guy would tell all of those folks they shoot like a girl?
  15. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

One handed shooting and trick shots are for the movies just my two cents.