1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

One in the tube or rack the slide?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by deinonychus75, Aug 19, 2006.

1. cponproud

cponproud New Member

:eek: Seems most of you carry the Flat guns, I carry a round gun .357 it's got 6 in the tubes all the time. Dbl.Act. so no real noise till it goes KAAA-BOOOOM, and I have to sqweeze the trigger for it to do that. ;)
  2. rmeron

rmeron New Member

I carry an Astra A-75 in 45 ACP,when you decock it the hammer is on half.Thats the way I carry,one up the pipe and all it takes is a nice easy double action pull then it goes to single action.It's a very simple pistol.
  3. HiPowerKid

HiPowerKid New Member

The P3AT was designed to be small enough to fit in a pocket and with a sufficiently long trigger pull as to not need a safety. It ain't got no light trigger single action about to go off at 3 and one-half pounds either. You have to intend to pull the trigger through its long arc of travel..

Now since you carry it in a pocket holster as do I, it's going to take a little more time to get to it than a strong side holster, especially if you're sitting down in your car or at a table. A a plastic holster is made for it to be carried strong side. And, depending on the length of your pocket (as they do vary widely with the style of clothes) you may have a more difficult time of bringing it to bear on your target, you better have a round in the chamber because your other hand may be preoccupied, or worse, injured and you can't rack a slide one-handed without difficulty especially on a P3AT as the slide grooves are shallow and don't afford the best grip.

You also need to make sure you clean that gun occasionally and make sure there's no lint in the barrel and around the hammer. In force on force drills you'll note that speed of the first shot on target is extremely important and if you're trying to be unobtrusive at any point by slowly drawing from your pocket holster, you'll lose any element of surprise when you have to "rack the slide" to chamber a round.

Just make sure you rotate your rounds in the chamber at least weekly and give a good swab to your barrel, clean out any lint on the gun (pocket guns tend to collect lint), and make sure there's a round in the chamber and the mag has at least five in it before you leave the house. And don't forget your spare mag.

The P3AT is also fairly accurate at short distances even though it's a close range gun. Mine doesn't like flat points and I use CorBon Powr-Balls to ensure reliable feeding since they're real close to FMJ in profile. CorBon also makes low flash powders to protect your night vision should you need to fire in low light situations. Hope this helps.
  4. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

The only reason, I have in the past or would in the future carry without a round in the tube is because of a law prohibiting it (In, Utah without a CCW Permit). I don't know that I would want to carry a 1911 style pistol cocked and locked without a thumb break blocking the firing pin assembly. That is why both of the handguns I own and carry have external safeties that disconnect the trigger as well as decock the hammer and disconnect the firing pin safety. My Beretta 92FS and my Bersa Thunder .380. I feel confident with either weapon as well as my skills. Everyone has different taste and preference. Personally I chose the Bersa over the P3AT becuase of the safety, reputation, warranty, fit of the weapon and ability to have longer range sessions. Not to say the kel tec isn't at all worthy, it was made for pocket carry, not shooting for sport or fun, not meant to carry openly in a holster as I do with the Bersa.
  5. navyvet

navyvet New Member

Well i guess it has pretty much been said already, one in the tube always for CCW. You must be ready at all times, in a gun fight fractions of seconds is the measure. Carry til I die:D
  6. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

yup, keep a round chambered. If you ever get into a shooting situation, you want the least steps between drawing the gun and bang. Plus when in a shooting situation fine motor skills tend to go out the window so things such as a safety can be a bit of a hassle. This is why many PD's carry pistols w/o safeties such as Sig 229 like i did during my short stint with LPD. Personally I think the more you practice with it, the better you become, so things like operating a safty are more muscle memory than somthing you have to think about. Althogh i agree, racking the slide is precious time that might be critical.
  7. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

:D Alot of good replies. I read some of these with a grin.:D since I got an email with this link the other day. this will really make the Colt guys chuckle. . Kinda never say never. their is always a way. This is one of those who would have ever thought. ---Spontaneous Discharge -:eek: -http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/178/5/1092---Interesting reading,--JMJ--
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  8. sorral

sorral New Member

I was taught by my pistol instructor to keep on in the tube. In close quarters situations, or a suprise attack, you probably will not have time to rack the slide. If safety is an issue, look to a well made holster to help you.
    I build custom holsters for me and my friends, and for an exposed cocked hammer such as a 1911, I make the retention strap to fit between the hammer and slide, for a hammerless gun such as glock and xd, I make the retention strap fit well arround the back of the slide .