One in the tube or rack the slide?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by deinonychus75, Aug 19, 2006.

1. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

yup, keep a round chambered. If you ever get into a shooting situation, you want the least steps between drawing the gun and bang. Plus when in a shooting situation fine motor skills tend to go out the window so things such as a safety can be a bit of a hassle. This is why many PD's carry pistols w/o safeties such as Sig 229 like i did during my short stint with LPD. Personally I think the more you practice with it, the better you become, so things like operating a safty are more muscle memory than somthing you have to think about. Althogh i agree, racking the slide is precious time that might be critical.
  2. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

:D Alot of good replies. I read some of these with a grin.:D since I got an email with this link the other day. this will really make the Colt guys chuckle. . Kinda never say never. their is always a way. This is one of those who would have ever thought. ---Spontaneous Discharge -:eek: -http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/178/5/1092---Interesting reading,--JMJ--
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  3. sorral

sorral New Member

I was taught by my pistol instructor to keep on in the tube. In close quarters situations, or a suprise attack, you probably will not have time to rack the slide. If safety is an issue, look to a well made holster to help you.
    I build custom holsters for me and my friends, and for an exposed cocked hammer such as a 1911, I make the retention strap to fit between the hammer and slide, for a hammerless gun such as glock and xd, I make the retention strap fit well arround the back of the slide .