One More 98 Mauser Question for Country Gunsmith

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Pistolsmith, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Pistolsmith

Pistolsmith New Member

I have a turned down bolt knob that is flat on the stock side and smooth. I have had Mausers with turned and flattened knobs in the past that were checkered on the flat surface.
    In your opinion, what is the best number of lines to the inch for a bolt knob that is going to be "palmed"?
    I have only one shot at this, obviously, so I would like some input. I know the Iranian Mauser bolt was a rather coarse lpi pattern and not sepecially sharp. Has anyone experimented with different lines per inch checkering? I have a complete set of checkering files, so that won't be a problem for me.
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

I prefer a relatively fine checkering, especially if the idea is to open the bolt with the palm. I would go with 20 lpi or 22 lpi. That should provide enough of a surface to grip, yet not abrade.
  3. Pistolsmith

Pistolsmith New Member

Thank you for your reply. I truly appreciate your input.