One of my new purchases

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by rsfrid, Aug 3, 2012.

1. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

While in Gatlinburg last week I met the Mohr Brothers http://rickmohrcustomknives.com/ and purchased several of their knives. They use "found steel" (saw blades, files, etc.) to make truly beautiful blades. I met them through Country Cobbler in Gatlinburg. Doug offered to make a holster for my Single Six then made several sheaths for most of the knives. Here is one I especially like:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If you are ever down Gatlinburg way, stop buy - Doug is a hoot to talk with and will drop everything and build you a sheath or holster in a couple hours.
  2. Airdale

Airdale Member

3. A square 10

A square 10 New Member

that is a beautiful piece , and nicely tooled sheath
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Beautiful. Found steel knives can be some of the best. i find old lawnmower blades make fantastic knife stock as it is generally the proper alloy of steel to respond well to the annealing, forging and heat treating/tempering processes of knife making.

I have a good supply of old SCAG blades I annealed in the firebox of my smoker that I have pounded flat and made ready for cutting knife blanks. I use a material removal method to make my knives and once I have a finished blade I heat treat in a homemade coal forge and quench in old motor oil. then bake in the oven at 350 for a couple hours to temper the steel before attaching the handles and sharpening.
  5. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Sweet, congrats rs!