One thing that sticks in my mind

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobitis, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

was having the flu when we landed on the moon.
    I was 12 years old, sicker than a dog, laying in front of the big ol RCA black and white, covered in a blanket......

Then fell asleep.:(
    Didn't see a thing.:mad:
  2. Road America

Road America Member

Well, hang in there. Maybe they'll do it again.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Flu in the middle of summer? Yeck.
  4. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

I remember being a kid...and my dad forced the whole family to sit and watch it.... he kept saying that we were making history!

I watched....but I didn't realize what dad was talkin about until I got older.
    Now I'm glad he made me watch! :D
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

I was glued to the TV at grandpa's house. They couldn't pry me away from the tube. :D

Art
  6. red14

red14 Active Member

Look at your previous post. Was the tube on your left (avatar) the one you were stuck to?:D:D:eek::eek::eek::D:rolleyes:
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

So what's one thing that sticks in your mind.

And no, I don't mean that pic that G1N1 puts up on occasion with the runner.
  8. red14

red14 Active Member

The main thing is: The broadcast (film) didn't look real. I believe it was real. But, the figures looked fake.
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I meant, what's one thing in YOUR life that sticks in your mind.
  10. red14

red14 Active Member

Aside from family.

My relationship with players, coaches, teammates, and parents that are my friends because of my 30+ years of coaching and 50+ years of playing sports. Relationships that last a lifetime. Seeing a boy I coached as a 6 year old and comes up to me and tells me about his job as an attorney. Or reading a story of a 7 year old who I coached recieve a Coach of the Year award from my state (Florida). Or the pain of hearing about a boy I coached is in jail for armed robbery and feeling like I have failed him. It is all so personal to me. I love them as my own and they know it.

Coaching a boy (this year) in baseball, coaching his Uncle in Basketball, and his grandmother in Womens softball. That is way cool. A real relationship with 3 generations in different sports. It amazes me. I feel so humble and yet proud at the same time.

That's what means something to me.:eek::cool:
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

That's what I'm talkin about.:D

Very impressive Red. Thank you for everything you do.
    It sounds quite rewarding.

I remember the house I grew up in. It has built in the early 20's and had beveled glass panels in the front door and a skeleton key lock. Chandeliers in living and dining rooms, and cherry wood interior with wainscoting and plate rails. I'll bet there was 500+ sq feet of cherry with only 3 knot holes (don't ask:rolleyes:).

I think mom paid 23,000 for it back then (mid 60's). Easily worth half a million today.

If those walls could talk.:eek:;):D
  12. red14

red14 Active Member

If those walls could talk. Indeed it would be enlightening.:cool:
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

You have NO idea.....
    Shooting .22s in the cement basement at half empty cans of spray paint was just one episode.:rolleyes:
  14. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I can think of a lot of other area in front of science that I would cut first like Acorn funding for next year. The big deal congress made was only this years funds not future.
  15. keokeboy

keokeboy Member

I remember the house I was raised up during the 50' /60"s on the island of maui .could have bought it for 7;ooo in the 70"s but did not,too small so I bought a new one in the country for 24;000 .went back 2003 to visit and was really surprised to find both homes standing yet with the help of termites. house in the city goes for 750.000 house in the country goes for 550.000.
  16. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I'm betting the Chinese will walk on the Moon before we get back there.
  17. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Probably 9/11. I was young enough the thought of things like terrorism was not there until someone had placed it. I remember waking up and reading that a plane had crashed into the WTC on AOL (at the time I did not even know what the WTC was). It was a particularly significant day because it was the day my dad was (supposed) to be flying to Guatemala to pickup my adopted brother- the flight was obviously postponed a few days.

I have a few earliest memories that stick in my mind. Seeing the Three Musketeers, watching the Russian parliamentary standoff in 1991 (this might have been about the time I became fascinated with my Russian heritage ;)), and a lot of fond McGyver memories as well :D.
  18. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Grandma cooking on the wood stove.
    Man, she was tall back then.

Yeah, odd thing ta stick in yer nut,
    but that be it.
  19. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was scheduled to go for a draft physical way back then. Got a reprieve for a couple of weeks as the government shut down many things so that Americans could watch.

I spent the day in front of the tube in my college apartment.

It would be surreal to watch that exact coverage today, with the paper cut out rockets, etc. None of the high tech stuff like TV uses today..
    Twas a Grand Day for America.