The Firearms Forum banner

ONE TRIGGER PULL 2 SHOTS

4K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
ONE TRIGGER PULL 2 SHOTS
I just had a double shot happened today twice. I was shooting a High Standard Supermatic. This was the first time it happened. Any one know was it me or ammo or clip or what? Thanks All Ron

#5 ·
I had bought an off brand .22 semi-auto (35 years) ago and as my sons gathered around the living room sofa, I loaded the tube to see how many rounds it would hold and then chambered one round. Never touched the trigger but as soon as I let the bolt go, all 17 rounds went into my floor. Returned the gun and bought a 10-22.

Reactions: terminator
#6 ·
clean it good, if it doubles after clenaing. get it fixed or chopped up.

Occasionally you will see a cosmo gummed up sks double becuase someone was so excited to shoot it they didn't clean it. then again.. occasionally you see one do it becuase of trigger group problems...

#11 ·
Give it a rest. It's a clip. Been a clip since the damn things were invented. Just because people have decided, in the last twenty-five years or so that they are NOT clips, does not change the fact.

#15 ·
Yep - soldiers in WWII didn't yell - "HEY! Anybody have any magazines left?" when they were running out of ammo - if they did their buddies would have thought they were asking for a pinup girl magazine. They asked "How many clips you have left Joe?"

Reactions: Big Shrek
#16 ·
This is an old nomenclature problem.

A clip like that used in the M1 Garand or any of the Military bolt guns of old simply holds the rounds together . Some clips are stripped of the rounds during loading and discarded (stripper clips). Some stay with the rounds and are ejected with the last round (M1 Garand).

A magazine in a gun in the general form is the place ammo is stored. Most bolt guns are loaded from the top and the rounds go into an internal magazine area where they are stored before firing. The gun provides an internal follower that feeds the rounds high enough for the bolt to feed them into the chamber. "BOX" magazines is what most handguns use. Not only is the ammo stored there but the box is removable and includes its own follower that pushes the rounds up for the slide or bolt to feed them into the chamber.

A clip and a magazine are not the same thing. Clips only gather the rounds together for handling (hence"clip" like a paper clip) and have no moving parts. A box magazine includes a spring loaded follower that feed the rounds up for loading. It includes a "box" and lips that control the feeding.

I care not what people call gun related things but it makes it difficult to understand them if they do not call them by close to their correct nomenclature. Mis-communication is possible when incorrect nomenclature is used to discuss guns or problems with guns. For example the repair of a clip is much different than the repair of a magazine.

Just saying! What you call things is your choice, right or wrong.

LDBennett

#19 ·
[QUOTE="LDBennett, post: 1226055, member: 1161"I care not what people call gun related things but it makes it difficult to understand them if they do not call them by close to their correct nomenclature. Mis-communication is possible when incorrect nomenclature is used to discuss guns or problems with guns. For example the repair of a clip is much different than the repair of a magazine.

Just saying! What you call things is your choice, right or wrong.

LDBennett[/QUOTE]

That's where application and context come into play. If you have knowledge of the gun in question then when someone starts talking about their clip or mag problem, then depending on what they say.. it should be pretty obvious.

If a guy says the follower in the clip on my SKS has a problem.. we can be certain he is talking about the follower on that swing out internal mag and not the stripper clip he uses to charge his internal box mag.

Migh context is helpfull when using more generic terms.

#17 ·
I would like to present Positive Proof that Colonel Charles Askins Jr., world-renowned hunter, sportsman, law officer, fighter, and target shooter was a fake and a fraud.

December 1955 Guns Magazine, page 29. A Shooting Iron Too Hot to Handle.
http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1955issues/G1255.pdf

This article proves my contention in His Own Words.

Page 64, second column. Last sentence in the first full paragraph. >Minor feed troubles developed and the clip was altered about the lips.<

Page 66, 1st column, second full paragraph. >The hybrid shot like a dream! From the first shot through the full clip and for all the thousand first rounds<

Now, since EVERYONE but total newbs. doofuses (dufi?) and fakes KNOWS that that gun uses a DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE and not a CLIP, and EVERYONE KNOWS that a CLIP and a MAGAZINE are two distinct and different things, then it is blatantly obvious that he did not know a thing about guns.

:p :p :p :p

#18 ·
I said

"What you call things is your choice, right or wrong."

Obviously Colonel Charles Askins Jr. chose not to call things by the correct nomenclature...his choice. That does not diminish his accomplishments. It is not unusual that a good craftsman (or shooter in this case) does not always know the correct name for his tools or their parts. But if a person wishes to communicate about guns to others without confusion it MIGHT BE best to use the correct nomenclature if you know it (??).

Suppose you wished to buy a handgun and you specified it must be clip fed. What would you get? A vintage Mauser pistol with stripper clips when you wanted a modern box magazine fed gun. Or suppose you wanted a military semi-auto rifle and asked for a clip fed gun when you wanted a M14 (M1A). You would get a clip fed M1 Garand. Both excellent rilles but not the same guns and completely different ammo feeding methods.

Correct nomenclature counts to minimize confusion. And a person gets to choose to use it or not.

LDBennett

#20 ·
sound guy:

Clip is not a generic term for a magazine.Read my description!

Sure we may be able to figure it out but why not use the correct term if we know it? Why not help someone who doesn't know the difference by telling them the difference? We should use the right terminology when we know it and not let the un-informed remain so.

But if you choose to use the wrong terminology feel free as I don't care one bit. I only wish to help those that are trying to become informed about gun terminology so they can use it correctly with little mis-communication.

LDBennett.

#21 ·
:

Clip is not a generic term for a magazine.Read my description!

LDBennett.
I disagree. 'CLIP' -* IS *- being used generically to refer to 'magazine' by MANY in the public. Please RE_ READ my message!

Ever wonder why companies try to sue to protect their trademerks. 'rolerblades' vs inline skates. It's because if you don't, your trademark name becomes public domain.

If a guy at the range is holding a semi auto pistol with a removeable box mag, and it is empty and he asks his partner to hand him another 'clip' he is generically refering to a box mag by using the word 'clip.

that was my point. There's no arguing away that one. we ALL see it day in day out. tv, movies, range, even the guys at the gun stores use incorrect generic terminology.

#22 ·
soundguy:

I disagree too...with you.

If a car passes buy and your friends says it is a Ford and it is a really a Chevy. Wouldn't you tell him that it is a Ford and not a Chevy?

A clip has no box, no follower , no spring. A clip is a simple device that holds rounds together so that they may be loaded as a unit. Clips are disposable and magazines are not.

Perpetuating the incorrect use of gun nomenclature confuses communications. Suppose there was a clip and a magazine laying on the bench and you asked for a clip. Someone without the proper knowledge of gun nomenclature would not know which to give you. By you, both are clips which is not true.

But the world will not stop if gun people continue to use the wrong nomenclature. I just object to perpetuating it. But you can do whatever you like.

LDBennett

#23 ·
I'm not sure how you can disagree with me. I'm pointing out an observation. if you are disagreeing with me you are basically telling me i am lieing when I say that over the past few decades I have observed people using a term generically to cover other devices. Are you saying you do not believe that I have observed someone calling a removeable box magazine a clip ???

this is a genericism problem.

calling the drive gear on the end of a starter a 'bendix' when in fact it may not be a bendix style gear.

calling all starter relay's a 'solenoid' when in fact.. they may just really be a relay, and not a solenoid.. which is actually a combination of a relay AND a mechanical device that moves the drive gear into position with the flywheel.. vs.. say a starter that uses a start relay ony and no solenoid, and instead the drive gear moves out via centrifugal forces. Generically.. they all get called solenoids by many people.. even people in the business.

I find it hard to believe you have never heard anyone refer to a removeable box magazine as a clip. If that is true you've never seen a tv show or movie in the us in the last 40 years.. :)

My comment is limited to the observation that people are using a term to generically cover a range of devices. I do agree they are technically incorrect as to usage... however it is happening!

#25 ·
I agree many use the terms interchangeable / incorrectly. However.. we as gun owners. if this is our biggest problem to worry about.. we got it made. unfortunately.. it ain't. Over-reaching knee jerk gun control and restriction is our enemy we must focus to fight, united.

Picking on mimutia of nomenclature.. that, lets face it, everyone already understands, is a waste of time IMHO.

When I'm at a range and the guy with the glock wants his extra 'clip' I have to think that me and everybody else at the range knows he's gonna pull a removeable box mag out of his tactical rig strapped to his leg.

Being the guy walking around the range that corrects everybody as to what to call their specific type of ammo holding device usually earns one the 'dweeb' hat. Kinda like the 'too-tactical' drill seargant type tyhat walks around the range critiquing everyone on their shooting style , talking loud, and giving tips. Nobody really likes that guy.. and I have to think the person walking around telling people that they are really holding a removeable box magazine and not a clip is gonna be lumped into the same group as the sarge.

Gun people need to be uited.. not seperated by minutia...

I know it's a box mag. you know it's a box mag. Probably everyone on this board and the range knows it's a box mag. and soe of them are gonna call them clips.

don't bother me none! I can see it bothers you.

I'll leave it at that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Ours are both clear now.

#28 ·
soundguy:

In my line of work using the correct word was super important. Mis-communication could cause my instrument that went to Venus to map the surface to fail. Or the radar system in a Navy jet to fail and the pilot and plane might be lost. Or a Russian submarine cruising the ocean fail to be detected. Or any number of aerospace projects that I participated in to fail. That is why I think insisting on using the right nomenclature is better than not.

I am not saying to hunt out those that call magazines clips but to point out to someone who is posting here (or talking to you) of their error in nomenclature. I attempt to also explain the differences so that the next time they will be inclined to use the right nomenclature because they understand how each works.

In the example of the starter solenoid or stater relay, what would you get at the auto parts store if you asked for the wrong one?...The wrong part! Correct nomenclature is important (at least some of the time).

But I keep saying... do as you wish. I just don't have to agree with you and neither of us is wrong, just different. Lets leave it at that.

LDBennett

#32 ·
good thing calling a mag a clip doesn't have ANYTHING to do with jets or venus...

gotta keep it all in perspective. If it was important enough to be a problem.. it would be a problem.. however it surely isn't important enough to be a problem. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.