Ongoing Obama Controversy

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jinn, Dec 7, 2008.

1. JDS

JDS Former Guest

Solipsism
    n. Philosophy.
    The theory that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified.
    The theory or view that the self is the only reality.
    [Latin sōlus, alone + Latin ipse, self + –ISM.]

solipsist sol'ip·sist n.
    solipsistic sol'ip·sis'tic adj.
  2. Deathbunny

Deathbunny Former Guest

Hmm. Well, that's interesting. First and foremost, facts are facts regardless of any agenda (or lack thereof). Usually when people start questioning a percieved agenda it's because the facts don't match their expectations. I have no particular regard for Obama, but I have even less for poor research and bizarre conspiracy claims.
    To answer your question -- hell, yes. In another thread I was defending McCain's citizenship. And, yes, there was a lawsuit pending in Federal District Court in Concord, New Hampshire contesting his ability to run for president because he was born in the Panama Canal Zone.
  3. jinn

jinn New Member

It seems that today the Supreme Court paved the way for Mr. Obama to continue onward with the thinly-masked charade of leading the country through change.

I now must view with certainty, after much previous soul-searching, the fact that the United States Constitution, the "Law of the Land", has been subverted and lost to the skulduggery of modern politics.
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

As proven by your lack of economic education (which is no slight upon you), you pretty much exemplified that theory in other debates. Known, proven, mainstream economics fact was rejected by you because you had not been exposed.

Economists use the tenants I cite just as much as engineers use pi as a reference for the relationship of a circle's circumference to its diameter... It's science... ;)

Thanks for admitting your fault!... :)
  5. JDS

JDS Former Guest

Your notions --and those of conspiracy theorists ---strongly tend toward the solipsistiic, and unfortunately therefore, cannot be rationally discussed.

I commend the intensive thought you've put into it, regardless of its disregard of factors that don't relate to your highly personal view.

This isn't completely disrespectable. Descartes came up with the idea -- or at least the "modern" version of solipcism. I think he mumbled something about God not permitting "deception" to get around the stupid parts of what he was saying. A bit like simplistic references to economics - a transference of values from religion to so-called science.

It was refuted by Heidegger, Dewey, and other thinkers whose work has resulted in deconstructionism and other obscure and discredited trends in contemporary philosphy -- which is after all, a dead-end subject along with religion.

Good work.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

JDS, I wish I could just sit down with you for a while and try to figure out how you think.
    In the same post, you accuse others of solipsism, then you go on to claim that both philosophy and religion are "dead-end" subjects.

I really just don't get how you can think that your mind is stable.
  7. JDS

JDS Former Guest

Solipcistic thinking isn't necessarily (or even likely to be) the result of a philosophy but merely a matter of insularity.
    The gist of it is, "Whatever i chose to believe, is the truth, because everything else is relative, a matter of opinion, a lie, and/or can't be proven."

Some variant of this is extremely common. Hence we have half the country believing in flying saucers, etc.....A dead end.

Philosphy is an interesting field that has (arguably) run its course -- a "dead end" of a more literal sort.

Perhaps calling religion a "dead end" is a bit harsh but I mean it only in that for many people, religious and otherwise, applying simple methods of rational and factual inquiry to faith would be the wrong approach to the whole subject, and lead to a dead end.
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Self edited due to being off topic and beating a dead subject... :eek:
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  9. jinn

jinn New Member

These last several posts are convincing, no, compelling, reason to seek solace in some other forum for awhile.........
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

That's OK folks, we'll have two years to get get together a conservative Congress to rein 'barry" in.
  11. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

YES, the 'mid-terms' should prove verrrrrry interesting!
  12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Yeah, I understand that. My point was that you were accusing everyone else of that, then mumbling some gibberish about philosophy and religion being dead ends, claims that cannot be achieved except through solipsistic thinking.
    It's the irony of the internal contradiction that has me intrigued.

Back to the original topic, no one really cares anymore what the Constitution says (or even what it was intended to say). There are too many competing ways to interpret every little phrase, so nothing written in it is genuinely binding for our government. It can all be explained away.

I wish people cared...
  13. JDS

JDS Former Guest

Our current president I think was born in Beautiful Greenwich, Connecticut. He's good guy

Texas wasn't a state when Consitution was written, however. Therefore, the evil LBJ was an illegal president. JFK was good -- even though his folks were Irish mafia.

Gotta stick with that good old constitution...those 13 orignial colonies is where we need them presidents from........Because........those old boys all worked hard for a livin' but weren't in no unions.......Too smart for all that.....

Hey they never mentioned no unions in the constitution......ILLEGAL.

...Here in Michigan, obviously, people earn too darn much money.........Although a lot of progress has been made in wage-cutting hereabouts already, more needs to be done......Rockefeller was quite the feller.... ya.......in Colorado ........yada yada.....
    .......Heck Grand Rapids is where AMWAY is based...And if y'all wanna buy some soap or want a line on some good money for you and your family, just let me know.......(can't tell ya what it's about yet)....(rant, rant) (just come to this meeting at the Holiday Inn on Tuesday....It's an interesting entrepreneurial opportunity for somebody like you 'cause you're special........and could ya bring a hundred dollars...cudya please???..)
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  14. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

JDS, I'm amazed how hard you work to attempt to make Conservatives look dumb. It isn't working, and may in fact be backfiring... :(

Sarcasm and cynicism, although sometimes effective, isn't enough to make people educated with rational and factual information look dumb.

This is sad... :rolleyes::eek:
  15. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Hey deathbunny,

The fact that he was enrolled in school listed as a citizen of Indonesia, which does not allow dual citizenship, proves that he was not a US citizen at that time. Thus he would need to repatriate when he returned to the US making him ineligible to become POTUS.

Pretty simple really.