Online list of stolen guns?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Popgunner, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Does anyone know of an online source to figure out if a gun is stolen?

I just bought a beautiful pristine S&W model 15 combat masterpiece from a kid at the gun range who convinced me it was left to him by his grandpa. When I got home with it I did like always & called the local copshop to check & it was stolen a year ago from a neighboring town. :mad:
    I bet the owner was happy to get it back but now I'm out $.

I can get internet on my phone & it would have come in handy to be able to check the status before buying guns off strangers.
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I don't know if it up and running or not.
    It was once upon a time, and the last thing I remember was that the system crashed due to so many people checking to see if indeed there weapon was reported stolen.

isthisgunstolen.com or . org or .net was trying to put together a nation wide system that would address you question.
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Well I hope the Fuzz check this kid out! Shouldn't be too hard to backtrack.
  4. durk

durk New Member

If this kid is a member of the range it should be no problem finding him. If he was just shooting and (not a member) he might have had to sign something before shooting. Any security cameras at the range? I hope they catch this sucker!!
  5. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Interesting. This is what gives gun shows a bad name. Sorry, poster, but I am about to suggest alternate wisdom, which, if you want to adhere to the laws of this great county, do not do. Don't buy firearms from unknown individuals, unless you wish to skate around local laws.

If you believe local authorities have the right to trace your transfers to anyone, kindly demand a report of your recipient's legal history so that you may make an informed decision. Remember that nobody has the right to tell you to whom you may sell or transfer weapons. Just laugh at them if they get perky.

My lawyers made me substitute "laugh at them" for "just shoot them", but I never did trust any lawyer or politcian; those fools don't know what they are talking about!

LL
  6. clmanges

clmanges New Member

Maybe you should call the LE folks before you make the purchase. If you think it's a shady deal, slip away for a moment to make the call, give the excuse that you have to check your bank balance or something. Then, if it's a hot item, you can have an LEO meet the seller at the door. ;-)
  7. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I'm hoping we can catch them. It was a kid that looks like Erick Foreman on "that 70's" show & his cute blonde girlfriend. She was driving a rusty older formula firebird parked too far away to read the plate. I let them shoot a couple of milsurps & they let me shoot the mod 15 & told me the kid needed money to buy his first car. I asked if I could talk to his gramps & he said that was fine but I had left my cell at home. I made the signs for our gunclub that say "This property under video survelance" & maybe some day we'll have to buy some cameras to go along with the signs.:rolleyes:

The police gave me no trouble at all, just took a description & told me the town where the report was filed on the theft. I've made sure none of my guns are stolen to not have any problems. That was the first one I've gotten burned on. That was the prettiest model 15 I've ever seen.