Only a Southener.........

Discussion in 'The Pump House Saloon' started by Diamondback, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

- Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit, and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH" them.

- Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc., make up "a mess."

- Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."

- Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is, . as in: "Going to town, be back directly."

- Only a Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.

- Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large peach cobbler!

- Only a Southerner grows up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.

- Only a Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say,"Bless her heart" and go your own way.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If someone in a Wal Mart store offers you assistance, and they don't work there, you may be in the South.

And "Bless your heart" is is a term used by the people of the southern United States, particularly near the Gulf of Mexico, to express to someone that they are an idiot without saying such harsh words.
  3. jaydub

jaydub Former Guest

Bless your heart.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I was walking up to a register at Publix one day, and these two little old ladies were pushing a buggy-full towards the same register. I stopped to let them go first. They stopped and one of them said, "You go. You've only got one thing."

I told her, "My Mama would hit me upside the head".

She said, "All right, then", and they went first.
  5. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Only a Southener would know that a poke is a paper bag.
  6. geds

geds New Member

Only a Southerner knows that "yall" is plural.

- and pot licker is for your buttermilk cornbread. Of course you have to save a piece for your milk too!
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

bless your hearts
  8. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

up to 3 is "y'all", more than 3 is "all y'all"

when getting ready to perform a task, a southerner is fixin' to do it
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  10. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

actually, in the south it's a paper sack.

a poke is a burlap container known as a gunny sack or tow sack. potatos were (are?) commonly shipped in these, 100 lbs each. at picnics gunny sack races would be held. the racer steps into the sack and attemps to run while holding up the sack. this sack was large enough and strong enough to carry many things. buying a pig in a poke means buying something sight unseen

in the old south, the noon meal is dinner and the evening meal is supper.

a carbonated soft drink is referred to as pop or coke, regardless of brand or flavor

a mess is a non specific measure of quanity.
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

A carbonated soft drink is a coke, unless it actually IS a coke, in which case it's a co-cola.
  12. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

And as my wife loves to keep reminding me, "American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God."
  13. geds

geds New Member

Sorry - ya'll is definitely NOT singular! Any true Southerner knows that! Hollywood and Southern wannabees have tried to morph the language into something else.

"All ya'll" is just including everyone in the group and generally refers to a larger group. Ya'll can also be interchanged with "you 'uns" - but "ya'll" is more commonly used.

Dinner (the noontime meal) is served with a "mess" or a "helpin" - grits and greens are usually served as a "mess" whereas chicken, taters, and biscuits n' gravy are served as "helpins" (some folks just say "heppin").

I know you meant well - bless yore little heart!
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Geds, y'all is not YA'll, it is Y'all. You all, with the apostrophe taking the place of the missing ou in YOU.

I took Brass Tacks' statement as agreeing with you that y'all is plural, but clarifying that it is generally plural for a couple, but a whole bunch is "all y'all". I did not see him as saying y'all was singular.

Nobody but stupid Yankees, doing bad southern impressions, thinks "y'all" is singular.
  15. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

I don't think I have heard the word "pop" used in this part of the south. It's either coke or co-cola, or maybe add an "r" and make it co-colar.:D