Only a Southener.........

Discussion in 'The Pump House Saloon' started by Diamondback, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Pop, to my knowledge, is a Yankee term. I used to work for a man that called all soft drinks "Pepsi", while everbody else I knew said "Coke". 'Twas confusin'.

I will occasionally hear someone speak of a "sody-water" (usually trying to be funny), but I have never heard anyone say "soda".

But then, Arkansas is a fur piece north o'here. Mebbe they been infected by Yankee-speak. :p
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I was born, and raised, in LA. LA might be the only state in the Union that litterly has 4 different accents on speach. NW, SE, SW, and cajun! In my travels around the U.S. I find a lot of people that laugh at a Southern accent, but no matter how hard they laugh, they want to hear more!
  3. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Maybe you should add that the Southeners have manners and remember to use them. How many yankees hold a door open for a stranger?

Also, I am SE Louisiana, and you can have a soft drink or something else when you are thirsty.
  4. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

When I went to Ohia :D a few years back, everyone kept asking me if I wanted a pop.

And if Carver is right, and "bless your heart" is calling me an idiot, then me and grandma are gonna have a problem:D
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

LA? Around here that means "Lower Alabama".
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I posted a story, one time, about "some fool in LA did such-and-such", and put in a link. Guy in California, all mad, said, "That newspaper you linked says it's in the Florida Panhandle, not Los Angeles." I said, "I never said Los Angeles. I said LA - Lower Alabama."

It confused him.
  7. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

and elderly ladies from southern Mo. (my mom included, god bless her) know STOP signs are for the other driver !! so she doesnt have to waste time stopping..
    when she got a notice that her drivers license had expired,,(she was 86 and passed feb 2012) and it had expired in 1981,, she stated why should she have to get a new one, there was nothing wrong with the old one.
  8. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

Every REAL Southerner knows that Poke is served breaded and fried like Okra! its a plant many regard as a weed but the Native Americans showed it is a good eating plant.

you fry up a mess and serve a "helping"!

Coke is Coke, soda is any other carbonated beverage..champane is just soda with a kick!
  9. carver

carver Moderator

If you are refering to Poke Salad, it is used as a folk medicine and as food. For many decades, poke salad has been a staple of southern U.S. cuisine, where it is cooked and rinsed at least twice to remove the harmful components. All parts of the plant are toxic unless properly prepared. Poke Salad berries yield a red ink or dye, which was once used by aboriginal Americans to decorate their horses.
  10. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

11. carver

carver Moderator

Blanchard, Louisiana, a small town just north of Shreveport, has a Poke Salad festival every year. It's the only one I know of. Poke salad grows wild, so it's gathered by a lot of folks in the south. Saw some growing, and all berried out, at the GA BBQ.
  12. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Please don't paint everybody from a northern state with the same brush.

Some people don't have manners, some do. Some hold the door, some don't.

Unfortunately, rudeness isn't confined to any one part of the country...or globe for that matter.
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

We have one every year right here in lil ol Harriman Tn. We even elect a queen.
  14. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

A true Southerner pulls to the side of the road when a funeral is coming trhrough.
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

And a Southern cop - at least the ones around here - will pull out of the funeral procession and pull your butt over if you don't.