Oops...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rowdyredneck, Sep 6, 2005.

1. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

As some of you know I purchased a brand new Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag last month. I've been busy with work so I haven't had alot of shooting time and I've only managed to fire off maybe 30 rounds. Yesterday I had some spare time so I decided to clean it as it was getting powder fouled pretty bad. After cleaning I was inspecting the bore and noticed some very fine scratches on the rifle lands about 1/2 inch from the muzzle. I'm pretty anal about my guns so I've been rather upset after seeing this. My guess is the cleaning rod must have scraped the bore. I was using an aluminum rod which is now in the trash...
    The scratches appear across the face of two of the rifling lands and are about 1/8" wide running perpendicular to the rifling lands. They are very minor surface scratches, its not like I gouged into the barrel but I can feel a slight roughness when I slide a pick across them.
    Is this worth losing sleep, or am I over reacting? I've always been careful cleaning but this is the first time this has happened. I love this gun and it made me sick to see this.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Number one: an aluminum rod is not going to cut steel, unless you used a stainless steel brush or jag tip. If they are not deep, they will not hurt the gun. I would imagine with time, and shooting jacketed bullets, these will go away.
  3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

They shouldn't hurt the gun. Sleep well. If you are worried about doing this again, get a bore snake. They are about $15 or so, but they are nice.
  4. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

I used an Outers aluminum rod with a plastic tip to pull a few patches through. Since I've been shooting mostly .44 special lead bullets I also made about two or three passes through the bore with a phosphor bronze brush to clean out any lead fouling. I took a picture of the bore (yes, I have way too much time on my hands :D ) You can see one of the scratches on the middle land in the picture, its about 3/16" from the muzzle. Nothing serious I guess, I just paniced when I first saw it. But I'm going to be very reluctant to take a metal cleaning rod anywhere near my guns from now on.
    How well do those bore snakes work for lead and copper fouling? I've seen them before and they look like a good outfit.
    [​IMG]
  5. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    In all likelyhood you didn't do it. These are probably machining marks left by the rifling process. A couple of hundred strokes with a snug fitting bore mop saturated with JB's Bore Polish should make them go bye-bye! ;)
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

They seem to work pretty well. They have a brush made into them so they get the majority of the fouling out with no patches. I wish the brush was a little stiffer(I usually end up with a little fouling left behind at the edges of the grooves), but it does good. I'll take a brush to it occasionally just to get the little that is left over. But it saves a heck of a lot of time and effort when you are constantly cleaning a gun. My 1911 gets cleaned about 2+ times a week when I'm shooting and I get tired of all those patches and switching out tips on a rod. So I end up just dipping the bore brush in some bore cleaner and runnin her though a couple times and I'm good.