Oops..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jstgsn, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I was thinking of putting this in the hunting section, as it involved a firearm, or perhaps the .22 section as it was a .22, but thought better of it, as it also involved “stupid”. (maybe we need a new section?)
    Yesterday afternoon, I had gone into the back yard to shoot my Ruger Bearcat (small frame .22 single action revolver) as my youngest son had given me some “sub-sonic” HP ammo. I got back behind the shed and was looking for a worthy target. There in front of me were two old gallon paint cans from 10 years ago. Certainly the contents had dried and hardened years ago, I had them on a pile of stuff for the next trip to the dump. They no longer had labels, although I knew they had been some color oil base paint, and they were covered in rust.
    I regress. Earlier in the day, my wife wanted to run into town for some shopping. I dressed in a decent pair of jeans and my favorite wool shirt. A great looking gray wool shirt that was super comfortable and great looking. (As great as a shirt can look on an old man). When I got home, I didn’t change. We did some yard work and the fresh air and beautiful day invited me to smell some gunpowder. Still not changing clothes as I was only going to shoot up some ammo.
    Back to my discovered “targets”. I decided to practice drawing and firing from the hip. With this pistol, the hammer has to be cocked and the trigger pulled before it will fire. It has adequate sights, but you never know when a mountain lion or grizzly won’t give you time to aim and fire. Therefore, I stood four paces from the cans, drew, and fired from the hip. It was a perfect shot, dead center in the first can…
    HOLLY CRAP!!!! WHAT KIND OF SUBSONIC ROUND CAUSES AN OLD PAINT CAN TO EXPLODE??? FRIGGIN PAINT WENT EVERYWHERE. I LOOKED DOWN TO FIND MY PANTS, MY SHIRT, MY FACE, HANDS, GUN, HAT, WERE COVERED IN SPOTS!!!!
    I went into the house and stripped in the laundry room. My shirt and pants went into the washer which my wife had running. Made myself an adult beverage and reported to my wife what I had done.
    She exploded into action. You see, oil based paint on clothes put into a washer which had finished its wash cycle and was on spin was not a good thing to do.
    I spent the next half hour by the sink scrubbing shirt and pants. I think I saved the shirt. My body and gun cleaned much easier. This weekend I will take a shovel and clean the yard.
    The wife is still laughing at me.
    Now, one thing I love about this forum is, I'm not alone. come on, give me your most recent "oops".

fred :D
  2. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

so much for sub sonics. Just curious, what color was the paint?
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If only you could have had a survaliance camera running, and could have posted a youtube link! Me, I don't have to shoot a can of paint to get it all over everything! Just let me get near it! I can't think of any gun related oops, most of my oops moments come from falling down! I'm good at that.
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Great one!!
    LOL!!

One of my gun-related oopsies -

I came home from a particularly harrowing 3rd shift at the steel mill one morning, COMPLETELY irate at the job, the foreman, the super, and life in general. My wife was just leaving to go grocery shopping as I arrived, so I decided to take out some of my frustration through the acceleration of some lead.
    I grabbed my pistol - I think it was my 1911 - and headed down into the gulley beside our house. The other bank was covered with small sticks and clumps of sod, which made great targets, so I went to work with my mouth and my trigger finger.
    "You dirty rotten #*$&" BLAM!
    "You @*&$^, you saved the worst job for me" BLAM!
    "You think you know electrical work? You are just a #%$*&" BLAM!

With an empty pistol and much tension relieved, I turned around to go back to the house.
    It seems my wife had forgotten the grocery list, so returned to the house.
    She heard me screaming and the shots, and came down to see what was going on.
    She was standing just a few feet behind me during my tirade -

Oops indeed.
  5. alex.cirabisi

alex.cirabisi Member

lol my worst oops was when I was out sighting in my rifle, I had just purchased some cheap hearing enhancers, and i THOUGHT they would cancel out loud noises, so on my last shot I put them suckers in and turned it up, I coulda heard a mouse fart, I put my crosshairs on the target, and BLAM!! and there I was in a confused state, with my ears ringing louder than a tornado siren on the first saturday of the month.

Needless to say, i went from spending $15 a pair to a nice $100 pair which do work the way i wanted. XD
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'm like Carver, I don't have any firearm oops. Just falling down that had to do with paint and a ladder
  7. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo
    Well Not gun related but kinda a "Hold my beer & watch this moment"

I was about 19 or 20 & we were catching Sharks everyday as trophys for people that went fishing with us.

well I was running a boat out of the "Castaway's" it was a Huge landmark years ago.

well about 3-4am me & my mate had tied on a good one & I'm not sure if it was my Idea or his.

But

the 400lb Shark on the dock we dragged over to the Wreck bar pool,
    there were several pools there but the Wreck bar had portholes so sitting at the bar you could see into the pool.

Well we pitched into the pool this 11-12 ft Shark

We ran down to the Wreck bar just in time to see it "SWIM" by
    Everyone that saw it said NO WAY I need another drink LOL

The next day Me & my mate were sleeping on the boat
    We hear Screaming behind the boat Im like WTF

I get up only to find out while we dragged the shark 100 yards up 2 flights of stairs (outdoor ones) & then Splashed him.

We dident think to cover our tracks

They followed the Blood trail right back to the boat

B U S T E D

They wanted to have the pool drained & Repainted @ OUR Expence!

Ended up costing us $500.00 Bucks apiece for draining , Cleaning , & replacing the water! :D
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Does premeditated count?

When we were kids, we'd take our .22s in the basement and shoot mostly empty spray paint cans. :eek:

Can on the bench, surrounded by four cement walls, and a concrete floor. :eek:

Sometimes I wonder why I'm still alive.
  9. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Ok, now that a few have stepped forward, this is my absolute worse.

I'm in the basement, drinking a beer. That right there should tell you that "stupid" has a chance of happening. I have three young sons upstairs bored with life. So I take a sheet of plywood, a drill, and my 209 primmers. find the right size drill bit and place a couple primmers in the holes I just drilled. Another sip of beer and I call the sons down stairs and show them our new target range that will go bang when you hit the primmer with a bb. My middle son picks up the gun, aims and fires. BLAM! A primmer goes off. Great shot!!! My 14 year old son cries out in pain. The shrapnel from the primmer had come back and gone through his cheek. I wither in pain and embarresment. What was I thinking. The next few hours are terrible. A trip to the ER, minor surgury, many tears, looks from the wife which are not good, and silence from the other two sons. To this day I have nightmares of that moment. Thank God it wasn't anyones eye. He has long ago forgiven me. I will never forgive myself.
  10. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Well, it's been enough years that I can relate this "totally ignorant" moment... waaay back in 1982 I was in the field at 29 Palms, CA with my Army unit. I was a TOW gunner at the time, so I carried a 1911 instead of lugging around an MM16.

One evening, SOMEONE around the squad's campfire noticed me tearing down my 1911 and informed me "Hey, did you know that you can take an M60 blank, dump the powder out of it, slide it into the extractor on the slide, leaving the barrel out, then just slide it back on the frame, hold it there and pull the trigger, it will pop the primer on the blank?"

Well, being the young and idiotic testosterone laden individual that I was at the time, I thought that was great fun, plus I was bored out of my head as it was, so I commenced to doing that. My 'buddy' decided to help by popping the paper out of the end of the blanks and dumping the powder out.

All went well until at some point I grabbed one that had made it into the pile of "empties", that wasn't...

Headed up the hill to the medic's tent with a bandanna wrapped around the little finger on my left hand, which had happened to be directly over the ejection port. With no barrel in it, the brass 7.62 blank blew out that opening and pretty well exploded the fingerprint pad on that finger, down to the bone.

Never figured a medic would get that queasy over a bit of blood and raw meat...

Well, the OTHER medic and I got it all dressed up good, antibiotic junk all over it, loads of bandages and stuff, as I really didn't want it to get reported as the CO was all over me as it was for some other stupid stuff that he was sure that I was responsible for.

Healed back pretty well, but when I get fingerprinted they always say "hey, need to do it again, one of them is all messed up..."
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

oh come on no pictures of u