Open Carry (aka "OC")

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by tyc, Oct 19, 2012.

1. tyc

tyc New Member

There's a good chance some of you have heard of "OC" but don't engage in it and while perfectly legal, you can not believe the arrogance of some individuals, especially those in law enforcement, when they come across an individual engaged in carrying a gun in public ...

... but if you want to see this for yourself, there is an ever growing collection of such police misconduct now available on YOUTUBE and the list of such videos is growing daily. It's something you have to see for yourself to be believed. Not convinced? Go over to YOUTUBE and search for; Open Carry, OC, Police Misconduct and see what comes up.

And if you really want an eduction, while on YOUTUBE, search for "Why You Shouldn't Talk To The Police." It's a seminar which took place in a Virginia Law School as given by a very savy professor, followed by a lecture by a very savy policeman/detective who has decades of experience and clearly knows what he is talking about.

It's really worth you while to see and down load at least these last two videos, let alone some of the others. Odds are you won't regret the time spent.

tyc
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh we are well aware of the cops that do not understand the law and that do not know how to treat and to deal with the armed citizen. It is out of control and anywhere that open carry is legal, the folks had better start carrying that way to continue to educate these cops before they lose their rights all together. Each department needs to have training protocol on dealing with the armed honest citizen. Many cops are making up laws as they go and have no idea what the constitution says. Make certain you have a camera running at every interaction you have with the law, you will most likely need it. If nothing else, it will let them know that you know your rights.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Once they realize that you know your rights, it often becomes a much easier encounter. I started OCing 100% of the time a little while ago after a big change of opinion on the matter; I've had zero problems OCing and wouldn't have it any other way now. No hassle from LE, mostly positive encounters with the general public.

Used to conceal most of the time but WA being an open carry state is a very nice thing indeed. 99% of the LEO's around here even in Seattle are well educated on the subject and leave OCers alone. The problem is occasionally you get the one knucklehead that tries to make up rules as he goes and tries to bully an armed LAC around. So let's educate them.

I don't think it's a growing problem, it's just that more people have video devices now; but it's pretty sad to see some of those videos and the ignorance of some individual LEO's.
  4. Double D

I wish I could agree that its not a growing problem. The videos continue to pour in daily and it doesnt seem to be leveling itself out so to speak....I hope I am wrong...
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Here in my Boise it seems to be accepted and I think it is because of the libertarian movement. As they were opposed the movement pushed harder and began going out in numbers. It is kind of hard for a cop to walk up to an individual that is open carrying in a Taco Bell and begin saying something when suddenly five or six more guys come up and "high five" their OC buddy and group up together. Suddenly the police realize the people are good citizens exercising their rights and word gets around. Also I have yet met a fast food manager that is willing to tell a OC group to leave. I just have not heard of it. And the cops IMO should be grateful because that is one less restaurant that will be robbed during the time those good citizens re there.

For me I prefer to carry stealth. But when I see someone OC I always make it a point to shake their hand and let them know that I fully approve of what they do. And if I ever see someone harassing them for open carrying I won't hesitate to offer my assistance to help the OC individual press charges for another person trying to take their freedom of OC away. It's a matter of time but trust me, it will happen and I have no intensions of backing down..
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I highly recommend the "Why You Shouldn't Talk To The Police." youtube video!

Open carry is legal in my state. Because it's legal you can do it. But I'm not sure it's all that good an idea. I suppose it depends upon the place and the context. If you are engaged in security of your business, hunting, if you are in a rural area, etc. why not? But in a town or city the sight of your firearm is likley to cause most folks to be upset, and wonder what's going on. I think, as a gentleman or lady, you should keep your gun out of sight.
  7. Double D

Yea, the liberals love you! Thats EXACTLY how they think and want you to act. They will have your open carry abolished in no time! Keep up the good work!
  8. langenc

langenc Member

Infringements one and all!!
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

The problem is the public does not know that it is legal
  10. Double D

All the more reason to do it. Its time they knew.
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Quick reminder: OC is legal in many states, but NOT all. Know the law in your area or be prepared to deal with the fallout of your ignorance.

OC is legal here, and I do from time to time. Not in daily life, as it doesn't usually fit my life, but it's something I do when it does fit.
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

It is legal in Ct. and no one does it i am going to try it see what happens, u guys might see me in the paper
  13. Double D

For doing something legal?
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Beth, try to get in touch with some of the groups in your area that do open carry. Hook up with them. There truelly is safety in numbers!
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i have only heard of one person in the area that oc's he was arrested a couple of times and the judge said he is legal let him go