Open Carry (aka "OC")

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by tyc, Oct 19, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

maybe I'm just lucky here in WA, but OC is not a big deal to most folks; if you carry on about your business as usual, you won't really notice much difference in day to day activities. I used to think OC was dumb in urban areas but (here anyway) I am pleasantly surprised that it's a non-issue and highly recommend doing so to hold onto that freedom. This includes Seattle of all places.

If it's legal where you are at, do it. Educate the ignorant, whether they be anti-gun libs or LEO's who don't know the law well enough or don't care.

being a gentleman or lady has nothing to do with your gun being covered by a millimeter of fabric IMO. It's just about everything BUT that. An armed society is a polite society, it's not just a bumper sticker, it's reality.

I choose not to live in fear of crunchies calling cops about my OC firearm anymore and strongly urge everyone else to exercise your legal right to OC.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Your scared. Bottom line. Probably shouldnt be around firearms.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

when's the last time anyone heard 'man open carrying shot in back of head while waiting in line' or 'man OCing get's killed with his own gun'? There was joking on the opencarry.org forums about how 'membership on the forum is extremely hard to maintain with all the OCers getting shot in the head', made me laugh.

many criminals are cowards and although I used to conceal partially because I also like the element of surprise, bad guy sees me and my gun, he's likely moving on. I'm not the biggest guy out there either, but I think there is a large element of deterrent with OC.

Situational awareness. Bad guy ain't gonna come outta nowhere and snatch your gun like an evil spirit; he's probably going to watch you for a minute or so first.

And if someone takes your gun, pull out another one and get your first one back!
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Have you ever open carried? I have, and I can tell you right now that this ain't gonna happen! Why? Because those of us that open carry, or have open carried usually use a holster that will prevent the gun from falling out, thus a retention method of some sort. Bet you didn't know that did ya!
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If I could open carry in my state I would ever day. To many people doing every thing they can to take our rights away. If you don't use it you will lose it.
  6. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I OC very often as it's completely legal in my state. My first recommendation would be if you're new to OC and are not quite sure of it find someone that OC's regularly near you and set up a time/place where you two can OC together. If you’re new and not sure and you're approached by LEO's, you'll freeze so to speak and won't know what to do or not to do.

I've accompanied several folks new to OC and even been harassed by LEO's with them at my side, and when the encounter was over with and we went on our merry way they told me they couldn't have done that. To which my reply was if you can't stand up for the rights you have been granted by God and know the laws, you're not ready to OC by yourself.

I know all too well the repercussions of ignorant LEO's and public alike. I've spent several thousand of my own dollars over many years fighting false charges only to be completely exonerated EVERY single time, though some of that money has came back to me ;). Now most if not all LEO's anywhere near where I live know the laws.
  7. Double D

Failing to exercise your rights will cause you to lose them. If it is legal in your state, you need to do it at least on occasion. I dont give a flying flip what any cop says or thinks nor do I care what the general public thinks. I will exercise my rights to the fullest no matter how uncomfortable it make them. If your afraid of the big bad wolf grabbing your gun, I suggest you dont carry one. Even if you carry one concealed, you will probably be to scared to use it anyhow. For the rest of you, get out there and enjoy your freedoms!
  8. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Oh, I don't think so Double D.

As you may be aware, uniformed law enforcement officers have been shot with their own handguns. Why not give yourself the added advantage of pulling your gun from a concealed holster? On the other hand, if the point of OC is to be in the face of folks who don't like guns then I suppose self defense is not the issue.
  9. Double D

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with being in someones face. Its called exercising you rights and not being afraid. Who gives a flip what the liberals that dont like guns think? Screw them. Let them go home and shiver in a corner somewhere and pee themselves. Give in to them and they win, bottom line. Not me, never. I dont care what they think. I dont live in fear either.
  10. lilmule

lilmule New Member

I cc not open but at times when getting gas at say the wrong location ,ive let my shirt ride up so handle is exposed,have a peashooter still hidden on weak side.
    In TN permit covers both open and concealed.
    Their is a guy I think in texas that is targeting open carriers as strapped generally,pays to have another less exposed.
    Just my thoughts you wish to open carry your business if legal,but a smaller hideout would be wise,again legally not illegal.
    Primary in summer Pt22,Rohm 22,secondary when clothing permits with 32 acp llama or 9x18 mak.
    If open carry size doesnt matter much but does if you intend to hide it.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  11. SARG

SARG Member

Unless hunting .... open carry strikes me as plain silly. Why would anyone choose to be a target.

Concealed carry just seems to be much more sensible ........ but ........ as Ron White says..."Ya can't fix stupid".
  12. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

In Indiana we can do both and I do both.And I have to say Ive never been bothered by anyone when I open carry ive never had anyone say anything.Like someone said earlier if you go about your business and act normal you will have know problem.When you carry and firearm you have a great responsibility.My holster has a strap on it that secures the gun in the holster.Now thats not to say someone couldnt come up behind you and unsnap it but thats where your situational awareness comes in.Your responsible to keep your gun secure.When I had my wreck I told the sherriff I was carrying a firearm and I had a permit he said thanks for telling me and went about his business he didnt even ask me to see it.
  13. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Show me one statistic where a cop was shot because someone came up and grabbed a cops gun. The only time a criminal goes for an officers gun is when it turns into a struggle. I don't see most OC citizens looking for that struggle. Sure, a person can just walk right up and grab an OC gun but then again a 747 could crash into my house. I don't see anyone wanting to ground 747's over that so why should people not OC just because of "What" could happen.

One more thing. You can argue your case all you want but someday it just might be that OC individual that saves your life. The reason I don't OC is I don't like the attention. I want to control where I am at but I totally applause the OC people. I would assume most would not OC because they fear to.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  14. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

i mostly CC, but have OC'ed on occasion. both have advantages and disadvantages; OC is good vs. petty criminals because it has the same effect as a cop, but CC is better against someone who's planning to go Rambo, since he's planning to get killed anyway, so you'll just be the first target since you're armed if you're OC'ing, but if you're CC'ing the chances are lesser that you will be the first target.
  15. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

It's amazing the amount of people that don't even notice my pistol on my hip. I don't walk around paranoid looking, I look like anyone else walking around in public. If you'r minding your buisness and not touching the gun, not really many people even notice. Remember most people are "sheeple", they're just going about their lives, not paying attention to anything in front of them.

I wear a very good quality leather pancake holster with a retention strap on it when I OC. The thought of someone sneaking up on me and disarming me, then shooting me with my own pistol is obsurd. I would hope the majority of people that carry guns in public, wether concieled or openly, have a bit more awareness that the average joe.
  16. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Now, I like that!
  17. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Bring a friend with a video camera or a cell phone that takes quality videos. If you have issues, don't let the LEO see your friend filming, they may confistecate the evidence.
  18. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It's a pain in the but to CC sometimes. OC is just the natural way to carry! And I prefer to OC rather than CC. For those of you that don't like OC, you really need to have a serious talk with someone who has OC a good bit. We are not cops, we won't be putting ourselves in the same situations that cops do. No confortations with anyone. Just like when you are CC, keep your head up, and your eyes, and mind open. Don't be screwing around texting, or even talking on the phone. And like DD said, most of you are just scared! And that makes me wonder if you could use that concealed pistol on your hip! If you are worried about what others might think of the fact that you carry a gun, then you probably shouldn't be carring one! At this time I can not OC in my home state, it's not legal, but if it was ........!
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  19. Double D

Uhh, yea, thats right, cant fix stupid....
  20. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I carry with OWB belt or paddle holsters. In the summer months it would be open as I have no intentions of trying to tuck it in and hide it under my T-shirt.

The colder it gets the more it becomes CC when I am outside dressed for the weather. Inside it will always be Open.

I am much more comfortable when my carry gun is not tucked away and buried under a heavy layer of winter cloths. It is a PIA to get to quickly. Yes, I practice this, my wife thinks I'm nuts.