Open Carry (aka "OC")

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by tyc, Oct 19, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Bravo.
  2. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Someone asked about proof or stats regarding police shot w/their own guns. This is one site that poped up:

http://www.policeone.com/close-quar...Own-Guns-Likely-Will-Not-Change-R-I-Policies/

"There are no national statistics on how many times officers' guns are taken away. But the FBI says that of the 616 law enforcement officers killed on duty by criminals from 1994 through 2003, 52 were killed with their own weapon, amounting to 8 percent. "What's remarkable is that it doesn't happen more often," said Jim Pasco, executive director of the national Fraternal Order of Police, the nation's largest union for law enforcement officers."

In my own experience, I once had to go on a manhunt for a prisoner who grabbed a uniformed officer's pistol and escaped custody with it. No one got hurt, and the idiot was soon recaptured, but it could have been alot worse. I always made it a point to keep my service revolver under my suit jacket and I made sure no one knew I was armed until I had to draw. This is how I arm myself to this day.

It's a free country and I want folks to have the option to use OC, but I consider it much more wise to have the eliment of suprise. And, it's more polite.

It's interesting that folks here imply that concealed carry is "Liberal" I find it remarkable that the left has move into at least a "concealed acceptance" of the 2nd Amendment! a position for which they should be congratulated.
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Scared.
  4. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I get in the pickup here in Idaho and drop the .38 on the dashboard - never had a problem. LE around here though is the County Sheriffs dept. and they simply accept the guns on the dash as perfectly normal. Don't see many state troopers in this area of the state but, I doubt they'd have a problem with it either.
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

It's your choice on how you carry here. Because of the way I dress it's mostly OC. Do I worry about being polite or not? Hell no.
    I stopped at the local market the other to pick up a few items. Pulled in the lot and parked my truck. By the time I had gotten out, an older gent had come struttin over. He saw the Marine Corp magnet and wanted to talk service dates and such. I told him the USMC magnet is in honor of my SIL and the Navy, Air Force and Army were mine and my kids. We had talked for an easy 5 minutes when he happened to look down and said "Oh... a gun". I replied "Yes sir and it hasn't hurt a thing the 5 minutes we've been talking." He assured me that he wasn't bothered by it just not used to seeing people wearing them.

People want to get freaked out and go off screaming in the night....... so be it. It's my right and I'll excercise it.

I have to stop at Cabelas in Mi tonight so I guess I'll have to put a shirt on over it.
  6. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

personally i think it's a bad idea to have a loose weapon lying around in your vehicle that can go flying if you should have an accident. if i lived in a state where in order to have your weapon within easy reach you have to have it on your dashboard i would either get a mount for it to hold it secure or just lock it in my trunk and take my chances with a baseball bat or tire iron.
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I'm guilty of it frequently, but I don't like the idea of a loaded handgun flying around my truck if I happen to wreck. I would hate to survive a crash only to have the gun somehow go off in that one in a million shot.

45Auto, take some time and do some reading on opencarry.org, especially about your state; there's lots of folks who OC every day and are not getting their weapons taken away. Probably the best source for the most up to date and well researched information.

I've mixed opinions on whether OC would invite or deter more trouble overall, but either way, as long as you are situationally aware and responsible, you won't have any problems. I do like the element of surprise, but I like to exercise my right even more.

And I don't understand how OCing is inpolite? Seems like when I OC, people are extra polite!
  8. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

What a load of bull. Polite? Really did he say that? :banghead:
  9. tyc

tyc New Member

I can understand your position but I offer another for your consideration, which is ...

Experience has shown me that by far and by large most petty criminals are cowards and with that said I suggest that if the individual sees you're carrying a weapon, odds are they'll go away and leave you be - which as opposed to an actual confrontation with the goof is what I personally prefer.

That the individual would try to grab your weapon, I grant you that could happen but I suggest the odds of that happening are far less remote than even those of an individual intending to bother you when it's obvious you're engaged in OC. Consider for a moment, with close to two centuries of armed police in this nation, how many policemen have been attacked for the weapon they're carrying? I'm not saying this has never happened but what I am saying is that based on actual historical fact, the probability of that happening is very, very, very low.

Wtihout question concealed carrying (CC) does have it's benefits but in this day and age, I've opted for OC. For me OC is reasonable and quite practical.

tyc
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i just talked to a retired (40 yr cop) about open carry) told me to carry his court findings and also a memo that was sent to police chief and all in the under him so if there is a confrontation give cops copy of letter now all i have to do it get a holster. Do most of u carry a holster that has a snap or locks?
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

so what holster do u use
  12. CloserangeReaper

CloserangeReaper New Member

These are the same comments that spew forth from the mouths of the NRA and their useless fear-mongering tactics that are the very reason why I refuse to get a membership with such an organization. If I wanted to listen to propaganda, I would build a time machine and travel back to Nazi Germany.

I very seriously doubt that I have any issue carrying my guns however I want. My state has open carry and concealed as options. I have my concealed permit and I am very much of the opinion that if you have a gun, there is no need to show it off. That only makes people envious or scared and neither of those situations will end up good for you. The envious person will likely call some buddies to come help him jump you and take your gun from you. Remember even with a gun, it's hard to take out six grown men that surprised you. And the scared person is gonna call the police. Not sure about your laws, but North Carolina has a law called "armed to the terror of the public". It pretty much says that if you are armed and someone thinks you mean them or someone else harm (even if you don't) then you will be at the very least asked to remove said firearm either from sight or from your person.
    The Blackhawk SERPA series is a good holster with retention levels I,II and III. I prefer the level II, but the III is what cops usually use. These are also not fool proof in preventing someone from snatching your gun. You can hunt around on YouTube and you will find videos of some guys pulling a SERPA clean off of the base by simply grabbing the pistol in it, and torquing it towards the rear of the person. It ripped clean off and the badguy then had the gun. Just something to look out for when looking at holsters.
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok thanks
  14. Double D

Like I said, scared. I BEG you to please show me where these "6 man attacks" are taking place. Untold thousands of law abiding citizens are enjoying their god given LEGAL RIGHTS to open carry all over the country and doing it every day without incident. You are more than welcome to make up these scary senarios in your mind and pander to the liberals if you want. I will exercise my RIGHTS before they are taken away. I dont think the way liberals think so I dont understand your way of thinking. P.S. Open carry has NOTHING to do with showing off your gun. Nothing at all. If thats what you think, your clueless.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  15. CloserangeReaper

CloserangeReaper New Member

Man I think you must work for the NRA. Do you write propaganda for them? I think you do. I'm tired of your fear mongering and bullying of other members here. No one is gonna take away your right to open carry if you don't exercise it frequently. It's not a muscle; it doesn't just go away if you don't use it. Most liberals don't even know about open carry laws in their states. It's hard for them to act against something they don't even know about existing.

Btw, I open carry on occasion and I see nothing wrong with that personally, but when a mother of four stops you in the checkout line of wal-mart and tells you that your gun is scaring her and her children, it's kinda hard to tell them it's all perfectly safe and legal. Moms like that have a way of not hearing what you say once they have decided on how they feel about something.

P.S. I told her point blank (after a few times of trying civilly) that if I was gonna come into Walmart and shoot someone, I wouldn't be doing it after I checked out, I would have started right when I came in the doors. She just gave me a blank stare at the comment. But it shut her up and surprisingly the cops weren't called.
  16. Double D

Your tired of me bullying members here? Really? Maybe you had better think that one out a little bit. I could care less who is scared of my gun. That is their problem, not mine. Open carry is a right and can be done so whenever and where ever someone wishes to do it. The mother needs to educate her children, I am not hiding my gun. I dont pander to the liberals. Get over it.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  17. Double D

18. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Serpas are a terrible choice, button jamms & you cannot pull the weapon out.
    Do some research.

http://policelink.monster.com/topics/38101-serpa-holsters-can-be-deadly/posts

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...times-gearscout-details-serpa-holster-issues/

http://www.bing.com/search?q=blackhawk serpa problems&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE8SRC
  19. clamman

clamman Member

Not going to get into it, but I choose to carry concealed. I know a LOT of the local leos here and I don't want them to think I'm a rambo. My choice, just like everbody else.
  20. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

Oklahoma allows for conceled carry right now. When November arrives our conceled carry permit becomes a carry permit, open or conceled.

The main reason for this is to prevent a person legally carrying conceled from being prosicuted if he or she accidently "prints".

That said, we will be able to openly carry sidearms, as long as we have the permit. However, most police departments have said that they will check to see if anyone carrying in the open has the required license.

Open or conceled. You will need the license.

All this said. I will be pleased to have my Browning Buckmark on my hip while fishing.