Open Carry (aka "OC")

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by tyc, Oct 19, 2012.

1. SARG

SARG Member

Unless hunting .... open carry strikes me as plain silly. Why would anyone choose to be a target.

Concealed carry just seems to be much more sensible ........ but ........ as Ron White says..."Ya can't fix stupid".
  2. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

In Indiana we can do both and I do both.And I have to say Ive never been bothered by anyone when I open carry ive never had anyone say anything.Like someone said earlier if you go about your business and act normal you will have know problem.When you carry and firearm you have a great responsibility.My holster has a strap on it that secures the gun in the holster.Now thats not to say someone couldnt come up behind you and unsnap it but thats where your situational awareness comes in.Your responsible to keep your gun secure.When I had my wreck I told the sherriff I was carrying a firearm and I had a permit he said thanks for telling me and went about his business he didnt even ask me to see it.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Show me one statistic where a cop was shot because someone came up and grabbed a cops gun. The only time a criminal goes for an officers gun is when it turns into a struggle. I don't see most OC citizens looking for that struggle. Sure, a person can just walk right up and grab an OC gun but then again a 747 could crash into my house. I don't see anyone wanting to ground 747's over that so why should people not OC just because of "What" could happen.

One more thing. You can argue your case all you want but someday it just might be that OC individual that saves your life. The reason I don't OC is I don't like the attention. I want to control where I am at but I totally applause the OC people. I would assume most would not OC because they fear to.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  4. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

i mostly CC, but have OC'ed on occasion. both have advantages and disadvantages; OC is good vs. petty criminals because it has the same effect as a cop, but CC is better against someone who's planning to go Rambo, since he's planning to get killed anyway, so you'll just be the first target since you're armed if you're OC'ing, but if you're CC'ing the chances are lesser that you will be the first target.
  5. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

It's amazing the amount of people that don't even notice my pistol on my hip. I don't walk around paranoid looking, I look like anyone else walking around in public. If you'r minding your buisness and not touching the gun, not really many people even notice. Remember most people are "sheeple", they're just going about their lives, not paying attention to anything in front of them.

I wear a very good quality leather pancake holster with a retention strap on it when I OC. The thought of someone sneaking up on me and disarming me, then shooting me with my own pistol is obsurd. I would hope the majority of people that carry guns in public, wether concieled or openly, have a bit more awareness that the average joe.
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Now, I like that!
  7. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Bring a friend with a video camera or a cell phone that takes quality videos. If you have issues, don't let the LEO see your friend filming, they may confistecate the evidence.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It's a pain in the but to CC sometimes. OC is just the natural way to carry! And I prefer to OC rather than CC. For those of you that don't like OC, you really need to have a serious talk with someone who has OC a good bit. We are not cops, we won't be putting ourselves in the same situations that cops do. No confortations with anyone. Just like when you are CC, keep your head up, and your eyes, and mind open. Don't be screwing around texting, or even talking on the phone. And like DD said, most of you are just scared! And that makes me wonder if you could use that concealed pistol on your hip! If you are worried about what others might think of the fact that you carry a gun, then you probably shouldn't be carring one! At this time I can not OC in my home state, it's not legal, but if it was ........!
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Uhh, yea, thats right, cant fix stupid....
  10. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I carry with OWB belt or paddle holsters. In the summer months it would be open as I have no intentions of trying to tuck it in and hide it under my T-shirt.

The colder it gets the more it becomes CC when I am outside dressed for the weather. Inside it will always be Open.

I am much more comfortable when my carry gun is not tucked away and buried under a heavy layer of winter cloths. It is a PIA to get to quickly. Yes, I practice this, my wife thinks I'm nuts.
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Bravo.
  12. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Someone asked about proof or stats regarding police shot w/their own guns. This is one site that poped up:

http://www.policeone.com/close-quar...Own-Guns-Likely-Will-Not-Change-R-I-Policies/

"There are no national statistics on how many times officers' guns are taken away. But the FBI says that of the 616 law enforcement officers killed on duty by criminals from 1994 through 2003, 52 were killed with their own weapon, amounting to 8 percent. "What's remarkable is that it doesn't happen more often," said Jim Pasco, executive director of the national Fraternal Order of Police, the nation's largest union for law enforcement officers."

In my own experience, I once had to go on a manhunt for a prisoner who grabbed a uniformed officer's pistol and escaped custody with it. No one got hurt, and the idiot was soon recaptured, but it could have been alot worse. I always made it a point to keep my service revolver under my suit jacket and I made sure no one knew I was armed until I had to draw. This is how I arm myself to this day.

It's a free country and I want folks to have the option to use OC, but I consider it much more wise to have the eliment of suprise. And, it's more polite.

It's interesting that folks here imply that concealed carry is "Liberal" I find it remarkable that the left has move into at least a "concealed acceptance" of the 2nd Amendment! a position for which they should be congratulated.
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Scared.
  14. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I get in the pickup here in Idaho and drop the .38 on the dashboard - never had a problem. LE around here though is the County Sheriffs dept. and they simply accept the guns on the dash as perfectly normal. Don't see many state troopers in this area of the state but, I doubt they'd have a problem with it either.
  15. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

It's your choice on how you carry here. Because of the way I dress it's mostly OC. Do I worry about being polite or not? Hell no.
    I stopped at the local market the other to pick up a few items. Pulled in the lot and parked my truck. By the time I had gotten out, an older gent had come struttin over. He saw the Marine Corp magnet and wanted to talk service dates and such. I told him the USMC magnet is in honor of my SIL and the Navy, Air Force and Army were mine and my kids. We had talked for an easy 5 minutes when he happened to look down and said "Oh... a gun". I replied "Yes sir and it hasn't hurt a thing the 5 minutes we've been talking." He assured me that he wasn't bothered by it just not used to seeing people wearing them.

People want to get freaked out and go off screaming in the night....... so be it. It's my right and I'll excercise it.

I have to stop at Cabelas in Mi tonight so I guess I'll have to put a shirt on over it.