Open Carry (aka "OC")

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by tyc, Oct 19, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Double D is not bullying on the forum, he is simply stating it like it is. Also, DD is not as bad as a liberal and I take extreme offense to that.

If you don't need to be told a "Damn" thing then don't read the thread because the forum moderators have the last word (this is a private forum so leave if you don't like it).

Also, in my state it is legal to O.C. and if I decided to (Like I do when I ride my mountain bike at times) and I got arrested then I would let the police arrest me while I exercised my right to be silent, and then I would get an attorney and file lawsuit as opposed to you who does not O.C. because of fear of the law (oops, now I sound just like the NRA which is the same thing as a liberal, according to you).

Honestly Reaper, people like you really don't help the gun supporting citizens, in fact you tend to dismantle us. One thing I can say about a liberal is at least they fight for what they believe. You on the other hand don't which makes you worse then a liberal. It's the fence post sitters in this country that have gotten us where we are. Also, from my opinion when you begin swearing at a mod, your days are numbered.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep, and its the LIBERALS that have blocked the open carry legislation in my state time and time again. We have pushed and pushed for it and so far, we have failed. This is just another reason why people should wake up and realize just how these laws are hanging by a thread or by one vote and can be taken from them at any time. People take their open carry rights for granted and it irritates me when I cant get legislation passed to have it in my state. I will forever stand behind what I say about open carry and I dont care who likes it and who doesnt. Get over it. Go back and re-read what I have written. It makes perfect sense. Just because your mad at me for saying your scared, doesnt mean your not. Also re-read where I say there is NOTHING WRONG WITH CHOOSING TO CARRY CONCEALED. Yes, I actually said that but you probably either skipped that part or were to mad to absorb it. The anti gunners hate concealed carry and they despise open carry with a passion. Anti gunners are scared to death of our guns and want nothing more than to strip us of our rights. I happen to hate liberals and anything they stand for. I will always be the extreme opposite of them on every subject. This is just one of them.
  3. Double D

It’s true that open carry has many advantages: a faster draw, a larger caliber handgun and greater round capacity; sure it’s been shown to deter crime, and it is immensely more comfortable to carry in warm weather, but it is much more than that. Open carry brings gun ownership out of the closet. It shows your friends and neighbors, your state and your country that you are not afraid of taking on the responsibility of protecting yourself and the ones you love from evil. Open carry is a visible expression of our natural right to self preservation. Open carry makes a statement that we are not afraid to stand up to the “politically correct” ideology that has created a nanny state, where the government is there to help us if we just do as they say, and a pox on anyone that disagrees. Open carry can lead us out of this stupor and deliver us once again to the days when a man could stand tall and be proud of his community, his state, and his country. When you open carry you are saying to the world, I’m my own man, I’m able and willing to defend myself, my family, and if need be my community, my state, and my country. It also states that I’m willing to stand up and speak truth to authority. It’s shameful that we as law abiding citizens must stand up to authority, the very authority that we have empowered, when questioned about our lawful right to openly carry a firearm. But stand up we must. The open carry of a firearm speaks volumes and it’s says much more than just open carry.
  4. CloserangeReaper

CloserangeReaper New Member

I read everything you said DD. I didn't miss any of it. But guess what? I'm still gonna carry concealed. It's just better for me personally. And I'd really appreciate you not calling people "scared" because they don't like to open carry. That doesn't give me a real high opinion of you, and we just met.

To those of you that think I'm angry, I'm not. This is no where near me being angry, mildly annoyed, yes. But not angry.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Badgering another member isn't allowed.

Have fun on your free 10 day vacation.
  6. clamman

clamman Member

You know what? I think I just might try open carry for a few days and see what results I get, and report back here. I'll wait until this "Frankenstorm" passes. Maybe next week when it's colder. This should be interesting. Lord I hope my good friend, the Sheriff of this small county dosen't get an eyeball on me :eek::eek::eek: 'cuz I'll get questioned.
  7. clamman

clamman Member

Reaper's time off

Seems as if the Reaper got some time off.:D I just noticed he's in the same town I am! Reaper, if you see a purple S-10 or a black motorcycle in front of Country-Aire Rentals on Live Oak Street you're welcome to stop by.
  8. Double D

You will be surprised how many people dont even notice. Its just like toting a cell phone or pager.
  9. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I said this to DoubleD in a PM, but wanted to say it here also.

I have no issue with the message the DoubleD presents, but the manner in which he presents it. I agree that a right not exercised is a right lost, but it is a risk vs reward balance that each one of us must strike based upon a variety of factors.

I certainly did not want it to come across as if I was attacking him, and if I did, I apologize.
  10. Double D

I just dont understand how things are misread. Example, I say that I am not going to hide my gun because I dont care if it scares a liberal. Now, someone says I only want to open carry to scare liberals with my gun. Wrong. I only said its my right to carry and if they get scared, its not my problem. But its not the reason to open carry.

Someone says they are scared they will scare someone. Or, they fear 6 people will take away their gun. I read that as fear and call that scared. I call it like I see it. I didnt call them scared prior to them voicing their fear.

I completely and totally agree with the decision to carry only concealed and to not open carry. Its the reasoning behind the decision to not open carry I cant get behind. If open carry is totally and completely legal in your state and you wont do it out of fear, this is where I have my problem. Its legal and legal means legal. Dont do it because you prefer not to, not because your scared or scared of scaring someone. Thats just what the libs want.

Carrying a firearm. This is a very important decision that can change your life in a heartbeat. You must always be prepared to use it at any time and fear can and will get you killed. If you are experiencing thoughts of fear, you may want to reflect on whether carrying a firearm is right for you. Maybe more practice and training is needed.
  11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Why would some one that is new to any forum start an argument with a Mod. If you don't like the stance any forum takes you can move on. I am sure you can find a forum that be more in line with the way you think.

If you think you can come here and change things to your way you won't last long.
  12. Double D

I think if you went back and checked, you would find that this person has been banned before and signed up under another name. I do not believe this was his first visit here.
  13. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

this should've been locked awhile ago.
  14. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hmmm, interesting.
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Yeah, but it was a good discussion, and a necessary one. As far as the former guest goes, Dan could have ended the disruption any time he chose, but patiently gave the man time to contemplate the error of his ways:). He may have come here looking for a fight but did little more than give everyone a big yawn.

Now, back to the discussion; I have a confession to make. Open carry is legal in Ohio but I'm one of those afraid to do it, in part because I don't know all the legal details about open carry. When taking my CCW class I asked questions about OC but the instructor said "You're going to get your CCW permit, why would you want to open carry?" My questions remained unanswered. So I'm not sure about things like if your weapon is partially concealed by clothing (like when wearing a jacket) if it still qualifies as "open" if most of it is still visible. Also not sure about the difference between open and concealed carry when in a car. So, until I'm sure I'm legal, I just don't need the hassle. Several years ago I made the argument right here on this forum that if we didn't exercise the right to open carry we'd lose it. At the time the consensus seemed to be the same as the opinion of the CCW instructor, so I just forgot about it.
  16. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

RunningOnMT I too am from Ohio and I OC very often. My advise would be to find someone in your area that OC's and do it together, much less stress for a new to OC person when he's got someone doing it with him. As far as the Ohio laws regarding OC, I'll answer the ones you've posed and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Open vs. concealed has no difference in Ohio (unless you have no CHL) So if you have your CHL carry however you like, concealed completely, half concealed or totally open. It don't matter.
    In Ohio in order to OC (a loaded handgun) in your vehicle you MUST have a concealed Handgun Liscense. Otherwise you have to follow the laws of transporting a firearm, Mag out of gun, gun and ammo seperated within the vehicle, yada yada yada.

This is why a CHL is good to have even if all you want to do is OC. It's too much of a pain to seperate my firearm from the magazine and ammo, drive somewhere to only have to put it back together again when I get there. Want to talk about freeking people out, stand outside Walmart at the trunk of your vehicle loading ammo into the mag of your gun as little old ladies are walking by. Now arrive there with it already loaded and holstered (CHL required if driving) and no one pays any attention.

I don't agree with States that have a concealed handgun law, but have no OC law and here is why. In the summer time I'll wear my cargo shorts and a T shirt like many other people. I kneel down or bend over in a way that my shirt rides up exposing my weapon and a LEO sees this. I've just been charged with Openly carrying a firearm even though I have a liscense to conceal it. It makes no sense to me.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  17. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I wish you were closer RunningOnMT. I'd be glad to take the time to show you the ropes of OC. It's really easy once you do it a couple times. Just don't figet with your firearm, checking to make sure it's still there is a common thing I see from people new to OC. Go about your buisness as if it's not even there and most sheeple will never even notice it.

Carrying a decent voice recorder in your pocket is highly recomended too. I carry one every time I OC. It gets turned on as I leave the house, and don't get touched untill i'm home. This has saved my skin a couple times.