Open Carry in Kentucky

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Sep 9, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i recently found out i can open carry. i have always known that i "could" do it, but have always heard if i did that cops would hassle me, people would freak out and basically it just wasn't worth the hassle.

but i know a guy that is a ccw instructor and after talking to him a while i got bold enough to carry openly in town. while i always have carried open around the house and at work to some degree. ignorance kept me from doing it in town.

so yesterday i open carried to walmart. walked around for a good half hour looking at various things. no problems of any kind. two old ladies did stare a little though.

while i knew it was legal, i didnt know i could do it and get away with it. i've always heard about people freaking out and calling the cops and the cops hassling me.

i did learn however that i can open carry into a place that has a no ccw sign, since it applies to ccw and not open carry. the kentucky bill of rights guarantees my right to do this and the only thing that can happen is i can be asked to leave. so i expect that im going to open carry a lot now.
  2. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Oh I am so jealous! :D I wish Texas had open carry because I'd be packing iron for all men to see.

Keep up the good work.
  3. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I am hoping we get this in FL. However, I desire it because of the printing issue more than anything else. I do not like people to know I am carrying - if something happens I desire them to be in for a surprise.
  4. johnlives4christ

feels pretty good to open carry, feels dern good. i have been informing some of the local postal employees that they CAN carry on the job under federal regulations
  5. bobdobgolf

bobdobgolf New Member

Are you saying you can open carry without a CCW permit? My dad lives in Kentucky and is scheduled to take his CCW class.
  6. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Utah is weird (now I could just leave it at that and most would agree :D) but I am talking about their carry laws.

Here if you have a CCW then you have to carry it concealed and cannot open carry, If you dont have a CCW then you can open carry but cannot conceal carry, dont bother trying to figure it out it will give you a headache trying to or at least it did me.

Most of the courses that I took where taught by the Salt Lake City police instructor, Ogden deputy sheriff and Salt Lake International airport police and when I checked into it at the licensing div. they said the same as well. One would think that if you qualify for concealed then you would be safe to open carry but it violates the rule of brandishing a weapon for concealed carry so you can lose your permit over it is what I was told.
  7. bobdobgolf

bobdobgolf New Member

That law only makes sense to a lawmaker.. UNREAL!! So you want to carry a gun and actually take the legal steps to do so and pay the fee? Well make sure you stuff it in your pants so the guy who has ill intent can get to his first.. HUMMM
  8. bobdobgolf

bobdobgolf New Member

My parents live in Louisville. I was there last weekend and went to a range in Crestwood nice but kind of a country club. I live in the country and shoot on my property not the case in Lou city limits. They live in a condo complex that was hit by the serial rapist that was running around guy was caught but after that dad bought a Springfield .40 and a Ruger .380 which he plans on carrying. Im not sure if he knows he can open carry but the e-mail has been sent. Thanks
  9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I see quite a bit of open carry. I live in Tennessee but on the border with Kentucky and do a fair amount of business in Kentucky.
  10. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

I open carry in Wisconsin. Around the house, in the yard, on city streets, in stores etc.
  11. McHATMAKER

McHATMAKER New Member

I wonder why Wisconsin is so against CCW?
  12. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

Just ask Gov. Doyle. Wisconsin has been a liberal state for some time and this is just one of the legacies of liberalism aside from being near bankrupt. We are on the cusp of change here now. There is talk of concealed carry being legalized and running out the liberals from office will help to grease those wheels.

I like open carry and would probably continue as long as it remains legal. As a matter of fact, I open carried this evening as I stopped at the pharmacy and the local grocery. Local fire chief walked up and said hello, inquired as to my health and then commended me on "packin' ". Said it was good to see.

I agree. I am kind of the Lone Ranger around here. I am the only one I know of who open carries in these communities.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  13. RDak

RDak New Member

It's legal in Michigan but I'm too much of a wimp to do it.

I have a CPL instead.

I'm old and just too scared about the reaction I might get from the LEO community. I wish I had more backbone!! :eek:
  14. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

I just wanted to make it clear that I support any form of carry, open or concealed. In some areas, it is scary or even foolish to open carry because te LEOs have a brazen disregard for the actual laws on the books.

In Wisconsin, it took the Governor and the AG to make statements backing up what our constitution reads, to sway many LEOs. The law was put in place way back in '95 and it made any municipality's law against open carry null and void.

Fast forward to 2008/09 and still there are those who have not gotten the message. Two cases have already gone to court and have been won by the individual who's rights had been violated. Click here and here.

But who wants to go through all of that just to prove his point. One guy was arrested on his own property while planting a tree, just because a nosy neighbor called the cops and asked if it was legal to carry a side arm in your own yard. They came and arrested the guy and confiscated his gun.

Though I have a lot of respect for LEOs in general for the tough job they have, there are still to many of them who are thick headed, arrogant and just downright ignorant of the very laws they are sworn to uphold.

So when you say you are to scared to carry open, in reality, you are probably just being prudent.

To each his own.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  15. Terry G

Terry G Member

I live in rural Wisconsin, but I'm blessed with being a retired LEO, so under LEOSA I can carry concealed and open. However, I have never seen a citizen doing open carry in any city limits. I carry open in the country and have never been bothered by anyone. I often hike the back roads carrying a Colt .45 SA Army, or a Ruger .45 Vaquero, both 7 1/2 barelled and pretty obvious. The local LEO's just wave when they go past, but in a town you would have a different story. I'm pretty sure you would be spread eagled on a cop car with half a dozen guns pointed at you. I have been tempted to do it just as a test, since I'm covered both way's, but as another Forum member said, "Is it worth the hassle?"
  16. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

Hey, neighbor, I don't know where you're from but i have carried in Buffalo City, Cochrane, Alma, Nelson, Mondovi, Waumandee and Fountain City. None are big cities but Alma is the County Seat. Yesterday, I walked into the Pharmacy, exchanged pleasantries with a Sheriff's office employee and then to the local convienience store. There I spoke with a Fireman and local politician who said "I see you're packin', Good for you. I like to see that." I was gratified to hear that. I actually responded to him with your signature line. He said, "Yup!"
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  17. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I go into the local Wal-Mart (Kentucky) and see a biker looking guy carrying a S&W revolver or to the local buffet and see a nice looking young lady in 5.11 trousers with a 1911-A1 on her right hip, young guy with wife, in same buffet, with S&W semi auto on his right hip. Lots more folks conceal carry so I don't know how many folks with firearms there are.
  18. johnlives4christ

its nice to see others open carrying i expect, i have never seen anyone else around here do it though other then my friend micha
  19. wpage

wpage Active Member

You lucky dogs...
  20. johnlives4christ

blessed and lucky both. open carrying is fun