Open Carry in Kentucky

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

Hey, neighbor, I don't know where you're from but i have carried in Buffalo City, Cochrane, Alma, Nelson, Mondovi, Waumandee and Fountain City. None are big cities but Alma is the County Seat. Yesterday, I walked into the Pharmacy, exchanged pleasantries with a Sheriff's office employee and then to the local convienience store. There I spoke with a Fireman and local politician who said "I see you're packin', Good for you. I like to see that." I was gratified to hear that. I actually responded to him with your signature line. He said, "Yup!"
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I go into the local Wal-Mart (Kentucky) and see a biker looking guy carrying a S&W revolver or to the local buffet and see a nice looking young lady in 5.11 trousers with a 1911-A1 on her right hip, young guy with wife, in same buffet, with S&W semi auto on his right hip. Lots more folks conceal carry so I don't know how many folks with firearms there are.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

its nice to see others open carrying i expect, i have never seen anyone else around here do it though other then my friend micha
  4. wpage

wpage Active Member

You lucky dogs...
  5. johnlives4christ

blessed and lucky both. open carrying is fun
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The biggest problem I have in this town with open carry is little old ladies. They stop me and ask what I'm carrying. :D

Pops
  7. johnlives4christ

most of the folks i talk to round here know it's legal but feel that no one should do it for fear that it might offend or scare someone.
  8. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

thanks open carry in mi tomorrow i hope to piss everyone off!
  9. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

you GO man!!!
  10. johnlives4christ

still open carrying, still aint had no problems. when i first started open carrying , i was told by the local gunstore that i would have problems. they said they knew folks that had been kicked out of walmart because their concealed carry piece became unconcealed. and they said if a cop seen me i would be hassled, and the people would call the cops and so on. but i haven't had any trouble as of yet, im surprised and relieved and thankful.

the most i've had is people in a store asking me if i had a license to carry, and i explained that in ky i didnt need a license to open carry, then they were cool about it. mostly just curious folks, or people asking if i was a cop. even had someone come up and thank me for carrying, said it made him glad to see someone exercising their rights to carry. so overall, it's been a positive experience for me.
  11. Couchracer

Couchracer New Member

I retired from Law Enforcement in Florida and moved to Kentucky. Im back at in Kentucky and will tell you....
    1. Any Non-Felon CAN legally carry a forearm openly in the sate without a permit.
    2. Retired LEOS's may carry concealed anywhere in the USA under LEOSA.
    3. LEO's cannot give you a hard time. The law is the law. They cant make their own up as they go. Can some hillbilly cowboy illegally give you a hard time.... sure. Just yes sir him away and continue on with your business.

My concern is this; There is a very big active "Columbine" type shooter problem in the US today. Law enforcement cannot effectively respond to the problem because it starts and ends within 2 - 5 minutes, and usually ends up with the shooter popping himself (Yes HIMself, 99% of active shooters are male). The only way to combat this problem lays in the citizens hands... and arming lawful citizens will squash this problem quick.

So bottom line, this is one retired Florida and current Kentucky LEO telling you-- OPEN CARRY IF YOU CAN, LEGALLY CONCEAL CARRY IF YOU CAN'T!
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  12. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I live in KY and do not open carry, I do have my CCW so I carry concealed. Reason I do not open carry is too many who THINK they know the laws do not and most of them run eother a smaller town WalMarts or a fast food place some where. Thus if I carry concealed and being I have my CCW, no hassles. NOW there is one hitch to the open carry in KY. IF you are carrying openly, get cold so put on a coat, AND that coat covers your firearm and holster COMPLETELY; then you are actually carrying concealed and if not a CCW holder, there is a chance you could get in trouble especially if you run across some deputy dog who wants to make a name for himself. It has happened and thankfullly the judge dismissed it in court however the person did have to go throught a lot to get it dismissed.
  13. Couchracer

Couchracer New Member

You're correct. Once the jacket goes on, technically its concealed.
  14. johnlives4christ

welcome two the forum and God bless you couchracer!

as you might have noticed from my posts, i open carry here in kentucky. i live in hardin county. i have never had a problem. i've even carried in the county clerks office. when i did, i had a police officer come up behind me and we exchanged a hellos and such. he must have known it was legal for me to open carry as he didnt say or do anything.

i absolutely support the right to carry a firearm both openly and concealed.

the biggest problem we have in kentucky when open carry if you dont also have a ccw license is if you're in a vehicle. i've been told several times that in the glove box is the only place you can carry a handgun in a vehicle. also been told that if it's open in the vehicle, on the seat or dash or something it would be legal, but have been told illegal as well. the law is unclear on the matter from what research i have done.

all gun laws are bs if you ask me. criminals dont obey the law... citizens get punished
  15. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

You know the gun laws realy are screwed up. You must pay a fee and take a class to obtain your CCW, but you can open carry with out any test or fee what so ever.

It is also legal here in Ohio to open carry, although I have never seen anyone do it. However if you do not have your CCW, then you will have to unload the gun and your mags when you travel in your car. If you have your CCW, then you can carry in your car, but you can not:

knowingly remove or attempt to remove the loaded handgun from the holster, knowingly grasp or hold the loaded handgun, or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person’s hands or fingers while the motor vehicle is being operated.