Open Carry?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ninjatoth, Jan 18, 2010.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I don't have a CCW permit,but here in Michigan it is legal to open carry without a permit.I am frankly afraid to try it though because I am afraid of being hassled by police officers who do not know the law.Anyone out there open carry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMaJKEVTAo
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Ninja, you're in Sanford? I spent September 08 through April 09 in Midland. Do you ever spend time at Joe Gun? If so, we may have even met once. Small world...

As to open carry, I don't choose to, but it's not because I'm afraid of being hassled. It's within your rights, and if an officer hassles you, he'll get to learn the law. No problems. I mean, you're certainly not going to spend the night in jail over it. It may take an extra 10 or 15 minutes once a month, but I bet it won't take long before all the officers in the area get a notice that open carry is legal.

One thing: make sure it is legal for you to carry without a license in a vehicle. Just because you can walk down the street with a gun on your hip doesn't mean you can drive that way. (Stupid, huh?)
  3. cakes

cakes New Member

Keep a copy of the law in your pocket. Show it to anyone who gives you a hard time. You said you are concerned about the uninformed. Inform them.

I have carried openly in several states, and never had a problem, but I know there are times and places where it is appropriate and carry accordingly. Whether you are hassled will be greatly affected by how you are dressed and how you act. If you dress and act like an upstanding citizen you won't have as many problems. I'm not saying that you don't. I'm just sharing my experiences.
  4. deanooo

deanooo New Member

hey campinj, from shepherd mi here and used to go to joe gun all the time to get ammo, could never afford new weapons... midland was my stomping grounds when i was younger, small world eh?
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I went to Joe Gun to hear people talking sense in a state that seems nearly devoid of it.
    I was just temporarily in Michigan, so I couldn't buy handguns (another senseless law). I did buy one long gun there, but I mostly went just to hang out and chat.
  6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

Yeah,I live down the road from Joe.I just purchased a Ruger pistol from him.He's small but tough,reminds me of joe pesci.I know the open carry rules- it has to be open and it cannot be carried in a vehicle,so if I wanted to open carry away from home,I would have to transport it in the trunk in a case and take it out everywhere I stop.I will probably never open carry though.I am just a chicken that way,I don't need to carry around here,but you never know I guess.
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    true story,my cousin lived in kentucky at the time and happened to be carrying a 357 ruger blackhawk,he stopped to aid in a wreck and a county mountie took it from him and they put him in jail overnight.when he went to court he was told by the judge that if he wanted to pay for an attorney he would get it back, but how much was he willing to spend.kentucky had an open carry law at the time but county law was different.i understand city laws are also different.chk for any city county laws that would effect you in this old semperfi
  8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I watched another video of the Warren,MI city council meeting where a man wearing a gun open carrying it came in and addressed them about how the police were hassling citizens who open carried.The city council members all agreed that the state law supercedes any city ordinance.No matter where I go I CAN legally open carry-any city in Michigan,it's just that the city police don't know the laws.I guess I don't open carry because I don't want to be looked at like some sort of hippie-since I live in an area where crime is super low.
  9. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

So I'd heard that open carry was legal in Kentucky and was travelling through the state with a friend. As we hit the border he said "Hey, we're at the Kentucky state line. You guys got anything illegal? Guns? Weed?" He seemed alarmed, so I tossed my piece on the dash of his Subaru Outback with the Obama stickers on the back.
    "Kentucky has open carry laws. It's not concealed. For once I'm legal."
    I went back to sleep. He shut up.
    For the record, he's an Obamanite who actually does wholeheartedly support firearms rights.