opening day of gun season in IN. trophy pics for deer.

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by fleetwood1976, Nov 13, 2010.

1. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

[ Not saying it doesnt look that big in your picture because it does. That's alot of meat...congrat's]

Just to put in perspective that is a full size chevy bed and Since we started our diet I am probably a tic under 400lbs right now. I havent been to the feed mill to get on the scales lately, so I don't know for sure.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Pointing at the menu is the same in any language. :D
    My wife speak Spanish enough to hold a conversation, but I mispronounce words on the Taco Bell menu, so she gave me a good ribbing when we vacationed in Rivieria Maya. I just started pointing at things, and the wait staff all knew what I wanted.
  3. 22shot

22shot New Member

A couple of days before the opener..
    Where there is smoke; there is a fire..
    Their Pappy aint so stupid!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. huston_farms

huston_farms New Member

congrats on your buck! I appreciated the pic with your girls, as my kids were always in my hunting/fishing pics as well.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's what was on my mind when I was looking at your buck and forgot to ask you about that. Your buck is/was a BEAST!
    I shot a big doe last year during bow season and didnt have it weighed as I done all the processing myself. When I hung it to skin and cut, me standing beside it (i'm 6'2") it's back hoves were over my head and it's nose was touching the ground. The secone biggest doe I'd ever taken

You got you one big buck fleetwood, NICE and enjoy the good venison!
  6. fleetwood1976

dragging him out by the hind legs he was easily 6 foot streached out. That is what is wierd, usually around here big bucks are rutty nasty old tuff deer. this one was more like a big doe, good meat bueatifull soft fur. kind of the fat couch potato of the buck world. I would like to shoot a trophey buck someday, but the meat is usually pretty nasty, and the meat is what we are after. around here the doe are what get big. 250 is not uncommon at all.
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Hey Fleetwood, where you hunt, do you have many cropfields around? I know in my area, there are some cropfields such as corn and beans (mainly corn) and the bucks around (and does) these spots get more nutrients and the racks are much better. But off in the "backwoods" you get the big deer with not much in the way of the nice racks.
    But I'm with you on the meat aspect of it...I'm not much concerned about the size of the racks these days. I'm after the meat mostly when I'm out. I shot a nice 11pt in the "07" bow season and it was a wall hanger for sure, and it takes a lot for me to want to have to want a head mount. Unfortunately, I didnt even get to do a head mount on it...(that's a long story, and I thank Mr. G Warden for that!)
  8. fleetwood1976

Zane,

yep farmland all around. we hunted at the family farm today in the river bottoms with cornfields on the other side of the levy.

The wife wounded a doe at 60yrd with a 357 lever in the leg, followed a blood trail of 1 drop every 5 yard for about 150 yards and it quit, so I would say she is fine.

I had a nice eating size 4 point buck walk 10 yards away from me and never saw me, but unfortunetly indiana only allows one buck per year and I had to let it go. very frustrating.

All in all we saw a lot of dear in there so we will go back Friday.

Had some neck roast stew from my buck and it is awesome.
  9. fleetwood1976

this is the first day I have not seen a deer. Cold front moving in so we will see what happens. I am a one shot one kill guy. but the season goes out sunday, so I might have to beat the bushes this weekend. my buck needs a doe to keep him company in the freezer.
  10. fleetwood1976

got a thanksgiving doe. about 130 field dressed. Kinda small compared to the buck but still good eating.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

bump...

been a while but just found this thread, nice buck!! I was in a 5 year rut due to work/family events taking priority but finally made it out this year.

I got this 6pt blacktail with my Glock 23, no joke. my rifle was burried in my truck, was on my way home from a weekend of hunting and spied this!! it stopped and stared at me while I got out of my truck and took aim, he was about 30m from me... 165gn hp, one shot knocked him down and he made it about 100m and fell over dead.

[​IMG]