1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Opening day of rifle season

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by keppler, Nov 22, 2003.

1. keppler

keppler New Member

Another opening day gone for our rifle season here in Oklahoma. Started out real slow and hotter than normal, 64 degrees at the house this morning and just got hotter all day.

Didnt see anything but a lotta squirrels this morning...hope they are still around Tuesday.

Went back to the wood this afternoon and decided to work on my sons stand he was having some troubles with. He went off down to the east about a 1/4 mile. After fixing the stand, I decide to try it out , so I climbed up in it and hunted for an hour or so.

Suddenly 4 doe came running in from the west and started milling around looking back the way they came from. I knew that a buck was behind them so I got situated and sure enough...another deer started coming in. Scoped it quick and saw that it was also a doe. Well crap.

Then I noticed another deer back down the mountain a way and saw he was a buck. I took him at about 60 yards with a shot to the neck with a 25-06. He dropped like a rock and never knew what hit him.

Young 9 point and weighed 99 lbs. Should make for some good eating.
  2. DK76

DK76 New Member

Opening week here too!

Congradulations! Sounds like a nice deer. It was opening week here in WV also. Not much happening. The kill on opening day was half what it was last year. I saw more black bears than deer. I did get a big-bodied spike with my 480 Ruger and filled my doe tag with the 30-06, but so far the big one has eluded me. The deer here do not seem to be moving much. However everything else is. Saw bears, bobcats, squirrels, foxes, cyotes, etc. Can't wait for bear season!
  3. outdoorsman260

outdoorsman260 New Member

Congrats on the deer.

Deer don't seem to be moving much here. I got a button buck in October during the Junior rifle hunt, and an 8 point at 7:20AM on 12/1. Still got a doe tag though, gonna try my luck at late season bow hunting.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2003