Opening Day success???

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by IShootBack, Nov 13, 2004.

1. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

We had our opening day for general gun season today.

Very dismal. Two drives with dogs - am & pm about 17 guys total.

My club managed to harvest 2 small bucks in the morning hunt. I harvested a 60 pound spike and another guy harvested a 55 pound button buck. Nothing in the afternoon - not even a tail sighting.

My neighbor is in a different club, in a different county. They harvested 8 bucks - 5 were 8 pointers in the 150 pound range.

I gotta change clubs next year!!!!
  2. groundhogdevastation

groundhogdevastation New Member

ISHootBack, Where are you in VA? We used to have a 1000 acre lease in Halifax where we ran the dogs. Managed it for 5 years under the D-Map program and got it to where there were some really decent deer on it(17-20") and the population in check and then a big money guy from NC offered DOUBLE what we were paying(didn't ask before saying he'd double the lease) and we got sold out!!! We had redone an old house on the property that when we got it was used to put dogs in! And when we were finished it had housing for 12 hunters! That was in addition to the main cabin where 8 people could sleep in comfort!!! We were told about the loosing the lease 2 days before we were supposed to meet and sign the 5 year agreement which was part of the deal for us doing the work!! I hope all the damn deer on that place are gone.......and the landowner too!!!! GHD