1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Opening weekend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by armedandsafe, Oct 17, 2005.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I'm back from my first deer hunting trip in 2 years. I'm pooped and smiling. :D

I went up to St Andrews Friday afternoon to meet some friends, who were going to show me where to hunt. I never found them, so I came back to the house and regrouped.

Saturday, I went down to Hanford Reach and took the Hawkin .50 out for a walk. I saw a number of deer and had good shots at 2 of them, but passed, when I realized I would have to trek the animal out by myself. Either that, or build a small fire and start eating the critter on the spot. :D
    I followed one little doe up out of the Russian Olive for about a mile, trekking along about 100 yards behind her. I had to make a little noise several times, to keep her moving out in front of me. There were hunters on the far side of her, so I couldn't shoot. I tried to herd her along toward them, but she insisted on hanging to the left. she slipped past them without being seen and I watched her sneak out of range.

Good times, but I think that is my last deer trip alone. I just don't enjoy hunting alone as I used to.

Pops
  2. danurve

danurve New Member

I had to google Russian Olive, thats a new one on me. Did you ever find out what happened to your friends or why they didn't show up? I can see you know when the real work starts on a deer hunt. "May all your drags be downhill" - nice to think about but it just isn't always so. A hunting bud & I usually team up and that helps but I can remember hauling deer for quite a ways myslef, well into nightfall by the time I reached the truck, or camp, exhausted. I even use a decent drag system stopping for breaks.
    I do relish my time outdoors & in the woods, wondering if you like Turkey hunting? Much less work and just as enjoyable ;)
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Deer-person-4wheeler=it ain`t hard no more.

LTS
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I was about 3 hours late getting to the meeting spot and they went on, assuming I wasn't going to make it.

The Russian Olive thickets are really thick and I have to crawl to get into the "parks" in the middle. If I had been really serious about taking a deer home, I'd have stayed out in the sagebrush. :D There is just something about sitting down 20 yards or so from a sleeping deer that tickles me.

Only the two main roads are open to motorized vehicles. You walk or you sit on the road. My loop is about 12-15 miles. I walked it twice Saturday, twice Sunday and once on Monday (yes, I wimped out.)

I pushed several deer to a young lad who was hunting for the first time in his life. He dropped a nice little buck. He was somewhat pleased. I could hear him from a mile away.

Pops