The Firearms Forum banner

Operation Question - shooting without magazine

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  NightRanger 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me the run down on shooting semi-automatic pistols with a round in the chamber and the magazine removed? I know you can shoot the round with the Sig, but is this a common feature? What about double action as opposed to single action? Any input is welcomed and apprieciated. :confused:

#2 ·
Welcome Ranger: Generally speaking it depends on who designed the gun. That being said, generally speaking, Smith & wesson guns have a magazine safety and will not fire with the mag removed. Most other guns will fire when the trigger is pulled, late model Ruger being another exception along with a Browning Hi Power.
If correct handling proceedures are followed no problem will exist.
Hope that helps
Smoky.

#3 ·
Smoky14 said:
Welcome Ranger: Generally speaking it depends on who designed the gun. That being said, generally speaking, Smith & wesson guns have a magazine safety and will not fire with the mag removed. Most other guns will fire when the trigger is pulled, late model Ruger being another exception along with a Browning Hi Power.
If correct handling proceedures are followed no problem will exist.
Hope that helps
Smoky.
Thanks Smoky. Yes, that helps. A little background on my question: I was pointing out to a friend the other day when we were shooting the other day (Sigarms p239 .357) and he said something like all pistols do that. I thought that it was a neat feature, but now I'm learning that, of course, most do that! It's important to be able to do a "tactical reload". I guess it's safe to say that S&W is the unusual one because it doesn't. Thanks for the info and the welcome. I think I'm going to like this MB. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.