opinion on 458 lott

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by soundguy, Jun 19, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

what are the opinions on 458 lott? it's parent case is the 375 H&H right?

thanks
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Excellent for really hard to kill, large and dangerous game animals like Cape Buffalo.

Probably a bit more power than you need for anything being hunted today, unless some genetics lab brings "T-Rex" back to life and turns them loose.

Of course, if you can handle the recoil, "there is no substitute for power" per Kristen Sergel.
  3. soundguy

only reason i ask, is since I am into relaoding.. i like to maximize materials that could be used in similar applications.

for instance.. 375 being the parent to 458 seems a possibility for dual purpose brass.. same with 338 lapua and 416 rigby, 416 being the parent for the 338.

i have .416 rigby and .375 H&H mag.. but not 458 lott or 338 lapua (yet) :)

but yeah.. shoulder tenderizers they are...
  4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Buy the LOTT and you can also shoot 458 wm ammo and down load for more 45/70 BP type loads that might be more practical to hunt with here. But allready haveing a 416 and 375 you can do the same with those. As far as dual porpose? Don't see anything pratical like that with the brass. Maybe time for some 308 brass and all the cartidge based off that brass if practical means anything.
  5. soundguy

i load 308 as well
  6. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

I've never shot one, but have done some reading on the subject. Yes the .458 Lott is based on a full length .375 H-H case instead of the shortened Winchester version. It's supposed to better the .458 Win Mag by 200-300 feet per second or perhaps even a little more, and raises the ammount of impact energy a good deal also. Jack Lott developed this cartridge back in the 60s-70s for use in Africa. He felt that the .458 Win Mag didn't kill large dangerous game as reliably as he felt it should, and developed this round that only required a simple rechambering/reaming to most any .458 rifle. I have a story about this in one of my books. The story said when developing this round one of the test mediums that they use was a piece of live oak 26" in length of abot 12-14" in diameter. Shooting this piece of wood end on the bullets (a 500 gr. Hornady solid) penetrated the length of the wood and buried itself into a granite cliff behind where they were shooing. It's a helluva round, if you can stand something that will "back you out from under your hat" so I have read.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  7. soundguy

i've never shot 458 lott.. i can only assume it kicks as hard or harder than 416rigby.. which i have heard some claim to be like having someone hit you in the shoulder with a baseball bat :) ( it's not quite that bad.. more like a golf club ;) )
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Got a buddy that uses one for ground hog hunting. It is kind of funny watching two guys bang away at ground hogs with a 338 Edge and a 458 Lott. It is one hell of a round that I think will kill just about anything on the planet.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

the Lott is just a longer .458 win mag which is a great idea as the win mag case tends to get full pretty quick with most powder. The extra velocity is certainly a good thing also but with that comes an even harder kick. Kinda like 38 special/.357mag as I understand it. It is based on a .375 though, shortened just a tad and blown out.

I have a .458 Win mag in a Ruger No1, my plan is to rechamber to a .458 Lott at some point. I call her 'The Tenderizer' with good reason... Shot 80 rounds in one day (one time) and way too much; neck and shoulder hurt for 5 days. usually I keep it down to 40-50 rounds as my daily max for this thing.

God help whatever gets in front of it though! Punishment on both ends...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]